BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Question about reduction gear set.

More
09 Mar 2024 18:30 #254976 by redoregan
Hello guys. Haven't posted in a while. Actually had to rejoin?

Anyway, I bought this from JBs: www.jimnybits.com/jimny-manual-t-c-low-r...et-15-reduction.html but then I noticed they had a trailgear set that I thought might be a better option for my setup so I mailed them to ask about it, and they said that the set I bought wasn't right for my car and recommended a couple of 4th gen sets and one for a pushbutton.

My car is a 2008 with a manual gearbox, currently a pushbutton which I am removing and replacing with an older manual transfer case. As far as I can see, the set I originally bought is appropriate to this setup? I'm not sure what's going on, maybe something's being lost in translation when I talk to them on mail? I have to wait until after the weekend to get a reply from them but I thought I'd ask here. So, do others agree that the set I bought appears to be appropriate to a fully manual 3rd gen setup?

Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2024 20:15 #254978 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: redoregan

More
09 Mar 2024 22:00 #254979 by redoregan
Yeah, I had no doubt about it until they said otherwise. Maybe there's some miscommunication going on. Based on what they sent me I think they might think I have a 2018 rather than 2008. Anyway, thanks.

More
09 Mar 2024 22:10 #254980 by yakuza
Yes if you are swapping to the stick transfer case.
But putting a stick transfer In a 2008 car you will get a different high gear ratio. 1.0 on your push button, and 1,32 on the stick shift transfer case. And add to that the lower aftermarket gears.. Unless you are planning very large tyres it will be undrivable on high way.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redoregan

More
09 Mar 2024 22:34 - 09 Mar 2024 22:59 #254981 by redoregan
Ok thanks, that's a valuable bit of information. I'm using 30/9.5 tyres. I'll have to try and figure this out.

Edit: so, seemingly the right ratio for 30 inch tyres  is 4:16:1. I'm terrible at maths and am not sure whether adding the manual TC and reduction gears together is going to hurt or help me. If anyone has a solid understanding of this stuff I'd appreciate any help.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2024 22:59 by redoregan.

More
10 Mar 2024 11:47 #254984 by yakuza
I have the 4,16 case from a different project but i could not put it in my push button 2005 car. There are different ratios in the gearbox and the axles from the stick shift transfer case cars so it would not work for me. (or you?)
I bought the gear set for the push button transfer instead. Now with 235 tyres I still got high revs driving on roads. I think they would be ok for 30 as well.

I used the grimjeeper online calculator and found that it was way easier to only do the transfer case and not having to swap axles, make the special drive shaft and all that.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
10 Mar 2024 12:24 - 10 Mar 2024 12:26 #254986 by redoregan
Thanks a lot, mate, that is very helpful. Luckily the manual TC didn't cost me much so if I have to put it to one side it's not the end of the world. Just means I'll have to save up a bit more for the PB gears or else also get the older gearbox and axles? Anyway, I appreciate the help.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2024 12:26 by redoregan.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds