× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

02 sensor readings

More
10 Feb 2024 19:37 #254206 by tomlil01
02 sensor readings was created by tomlil01
Hi, all,

Just trying to understand my O2 sensor readings.

My understanding is that the sensor after the cat (green) should not be this high?

I am assuming the sensor is working. It goes down to zero after load and releasing the throttle.

What does this indicate?

Thanks
Lee

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2024 22:31 #254211 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 02 sensor readings
I am assuming that this is under load, smallish throttle opening, cruising along the flat. If it is, it’s perhaps a little high but otherwise looks ok.

Your other thread showed graphs at idle and dropping the throttle, they also looked normal. Again sensor 2 looked a little high, but there is variation in everything.

Certainly the graphs suggest that your CAT is working correctly.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Feb 2024 09:06 - 11 Feb 2024 09:11 #254219 by tomlil01
Replied by tomlil01 on topic 02 sensor readings
Thanks, Robin. So, a higher voltage on the sensor after the cat is the expected result. I.e. less o2

So, the cat is reducing 02? I am just trying to understand how this indicates the cat is working. I am still quite confused.

To give some background, I am trying to determine whether my front cat is blocked, as the car is behaving similarly to when my rear cat had fallen apart and was blocking the exhaust. Going up hills the car won't rev up unless I drop down to second gear.

Thanks
Lee
Last edit: 11 Feb 2024 09:11 by tomlil01.

More
11 Feb 2024 09:25 #254223 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 02 sensor readings
Yes, post CAT there should be very little oxygen left. Google Catalytic Converters for more information on the science of how they work. Basically they recombine the oxygen and other gasses with the catalyst to modify the harmful emissions in to something more environmentally friendly.

They don’t emit clean air as there is no or very little oxygen.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds