× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny

More
18 Jan 2024 11:13 #253572 by bryn
I have a 2011 Jimny and have bought an OBD code reader off eBay which will not connect with my car. Can anyone recommend one please that they have experience of. It needs to be capable of being used on an apple device if it’s not stand alone. 
Many thanks
bryn 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2024 13:39 #253573 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny
Hi,

I have an Autel ML629 (or similar) stand alone reader, it's very good, but a bit more expensive than than a simple reader.

They sent me a cheap reader as a free gift (something like one of these www.toolstation.com/streetwize-car-diagnostic/p12772) but I gave it away to a friend, that also worked.

I also have 3 Bluetooth dongles, all three work with Android (Torque Pro) and my PC (The free SZ app), but I only have a simple program on my iPhone and it's a bit hit and miss although it does work.

I was in Aldi the other day, they have a standalone reader that will do a CEL reset (www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-car-fault-code-reader/p/707370407397200), I didn't see how much it was but don't suppose it was expensive. Aldi are saying it is no longer available, but they had them in my local store. I would imagine this will also work.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
18 Jan 2024 14:00 #253574 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny
I was stupid and connected and/or disconnected my ebay bluetooth dongle with the ignition on. Smoke was released. ECU survived but the dash cluster had to be changed. Now I only plug/unplug with ignition off.

Dongle still works and been using it frequently to clear my repeating ecu fault codes every other month or so.
Using Torque Pro with no hassle. Looks like there is an IOS version as well but dunno if it is as good on IOS as my Android.

Also works on the Swift

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
18 Jan 2024 17:24 #253576 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny

I was stupid and connected and/or disconnected my ebay bluetooth dongle with the ignition on. Smoke was released. 
I didn't realise that was an issue, I regularly plug & unplug the bluetooth unit on my MX5 based kitcar to get it to reset itself

More
19 Jan 2024 07:07 - 19 Jan 2024 07:08 #253581 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny

I was stupid and connected and/or disconnected my ebay bluetooth dongle with the ignition on. Smoke was released. 
I didn't realise that was an issue, I regularly plug & unplug the bluetooth unit on my MX5 based kitcar to get it to reset itself
Just might be the chinesium the ebay stuff is made of....
After it was fried the car would not go unless the dongle was connected. until I changed the dash cluster, now it runs fine.
Might have been some sort of power supply that got shorted by the dongle maybe.
just sayin to be careful with the ebay stuff. I still use mine but with caution.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2024 07:08 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phaeton

More
19 Jan 2024 12:16 #253582 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny

After it was fried the car would not go unless the dongle was connected. until I changed the dash cluster, now it runs fine.
Might have been some sort of power supply that got shorted by the dongle maybe.
just sayin to be careful with the ebay stuff. I still use mine but with caution.

This was most likely a "ground issue" with a burned ground in the cluster.

There are two separate grounds at the OBD port (pins 4 & 5), most dongles link the two, the fact that it would only run with the dongle connected suggests that the dongle was providing a ground to the ECU.

More
22 Jan 2024 20:31 - 22 Jan 2024 20:32 #253674 by Darthblaker7474
I have this  exact one and it works in my Jimny.
I had another one before this, however it stopped working randomly in mine one day.
Every other car I've tested it in work, even vans, but no luck in my whip 
Last edit: 22 Jan 2024 20:32 by Darthblaker7474.

More
24 Jan 2024 21:12 #253730 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic OBD Code Reader 2011 Jimny
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XVQMVS?psc=1&ref...dt_b_product_details

This is the one I bought with the help of lambert (thanks) which works
Bryn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, gv42

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds