BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M13A engine Overheating

More
19 Jan 2024 20:40 - 19 Jan 2024 20:44 #253587 by Grasshopper
Replied by Grasshopper on topic M13A engine Overheating
Hi All

Sorry for the delayed update on my over heating problem and thank you for the various suggestions as to resolve it.

I had a number of well meaning but depressing opinions that I had a head gasket leak, but after 45 years in heavy road transport engineering I remained doggedly convinced it was a coolant circulation issue. Fordem's input was very interesting as I had never considered Jimny M13a engine as having the thermostat down stream of the radiator. Stupid ! As I had already replaced the dam thing.

Using an IR thermometer I checked (given its limitations of measuring external surface temp), locations around the circuit the heater matrix ports had a 7 degree drop suggesting there was a through put and by far the hotspot was the thermostat housing at 89 degrees.The pump impeller was doing its thing, radiator flow was fine and I had replaced the thermostat, what the hell ! The prophets of doom had to be right it was a head gasket.

One more go before I take the lid off. Why oh why do designers not put service items easy to get at, new thermostat out again and in a pan of water. According to the kitchen temp probe its opening at 96 degrees ! I had blindly believed that my new replaced would have passed QC and all was fine to fit.In with another new one (having checked), lo and behold little Jimny is singing like a big Volvo FH on song all is well again.

The only benefit of age is experience.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2024 20:44 by Grasshopper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darthblaker7474

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2024 20:58 #253588 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:M13A engine Overheating
Jimnys have two thermostat varieties, 82 degree and 88 degree

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2024 21:51 #253589 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:M13A engine Overheating
Cheap pattern parts, if that's what this was, don't necessarly do what it says on the label (or stamping).  I once bought an oil filter for a Nissan, gave the parts shop the VIN and everything.  Started the engine and the rubber O-ring blew, dumping all the fresh oil onto the garage floor in 5 seconds flat.  It was completely the wrong size.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds