BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front brakes improvement

More
13 Nov 2023 13:58 #252094 by j1c7
Hi,

I recently modified my Jimny to run 33"s and found that the breaking with those tires is really deficient. I have seen from this forum that the Gran Vitara or sidekick front brakes can be installed in the Jimnys (and therefore being able to use ventilated discs and a 13% larger caliper), however, I couldn't find which specific models should I be looking for.

In my country we have 2 Sidekick versions, the 2 and the 4 doors. Also for the Gran Vitara, from the 2nd hand seller, there are 4 versions, the one from 1999-2005 and another from 2006-2017 and each also came in 2 and 4 doors versions from what I understood. 

Does anyone has any idea on which one I should be looking for? I would the ones from the BigJimny store, however, which shipping and customs to my country, the cost almost triples.

Another option is waiting for the new 4 doors Jimny, which comes with ventilated brakes from what I understand. Does anyone knows of the caliper is also bigger on the new 4d Jimny? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2023 17:14 #252097 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Front brakes improvement
What Jimny do you have?

Vented discs won't necessarily provide anymore stopping power, as that will depend on surface area of the disc and pad. Vented discs have greater heat dispersal, so rather than being stronger braking, just means they can handle more heat for longer, such as from a larger heavier vehicle.

More
13 Nov 2023 19:58 #252102 by Roger Fairclough
Or if he is towing to the max. allowed down a steep hill on a hot day.

Roger

More
13 Nov 2023 21:21 #252105 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Front brakes improvement
Not really. Unless the vehicle has under specced brakes. Most times they should be designed to cope with the vehicles maximum train weight. Also let’s not forget the unbraked trailer towing limit is low. Anything brakes should make it a non issue. 

More
13 Nov 2023 22:02 #252109 by Roger Fairclough
It's not under specified brakes that are the problem, but the over specified tyres. When you fit such huge tyres to a Jimny, the standard brakes are being pushed to the limit as the author found out. I would suggest a change to a vented disc with suitable pads would be a good idea. I will leave it to others to advise as to where to get the parts. One last point, the front brakes do most of the braking so I do not see the need to convert the rear to a disc set-up.

Roger

More
13 Nov 2023 22:47 - 13 Nov 2023 22:49 #252112 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Front brakes improvement
I am using 4 door 93 to 98 Vitara/sidekick calipers and hangers and diesel jimny discs. My car got ABS so the disc center is 107.8 ish. Non ABS is 107 and can use vitara/sidekick discs.

I have no experience with such large wheels on road.

I will Try dieseljimny every thing the next time I order spare brakes.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2023 22:49 by yakuza.

More
15 Nov 2023 00:00 #252130 by j1c7
Replied by j1c7 on topic Front brakes improvement
I have the JB43. Even if the caliper size is the same and I dont increase the stopping power, I sometimes drive roads with long and really steep downhills, so, I still see an advantage in having the vented discs.

More
15 Nov 2023 07:16 #252131 by yakuza
Drove alot of hills thru Norway together with a group of Jimnys in August and their brakes were smelly and really hot.
I pulled a trailer and mine did not smell.

(Funny how Danish people is not so used to any hills and was not familiar with the smell of a real Norwegian downhill :D )

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
15 Nov 2023 08:13 #252132 by Roger Fairclough
When I started driving, disc brakes were in their infancy and so I quickly learned ( and my dad told me as well ) that you used the gears to help you slow down. I would imagine the same would apply to a Norwegian but maybe not so to a Dane who would be more accustomed to a flatter landscape .
Roger

More
16 Nov 2023 00:02 - 16 Nov 2023 00:02 #252147 by j1c7
Replied by j1c7 on topic Front brakes improvement
Yes, completely agreed. My Jimny is a manual a normally I will select 2 gear and use the engine compression instead of using the brakes constantly.

Yakuza, I'll try to use the calipers and hangers that you are using. Mine is the non ABS, so I should be able to use the vitara/sidekick discs. 
Last edit: 16 Nov 2023 00:02 by j1c7. Reason: typo

More
16 Nov 2023 06:19 #252148 by yakuza

When I started driving, disc brakes were in their infancy and so I quickly learned ( and my dad told me as well ) that you used the gears to help you slow down. I would imagine the same would apply to a Norwegian but maybe not so to a Dane who would be more accustomed to a flatter landscape .
Roger
Most likeley. But then there is also the hills that is too long and  steep for the low gears and brakes must be used intermittent to let them cool down between the slow downs. Not constant braking, but in intervals. 
I learned at 18 that my 1985 Fiat actually could not be filled with 3-4 mates and camping gear and a trip into the mountains. Or at least not the return trip. Had to stop half way down to let it cool off. I barely managed to stop thanks to a side road.

Any Suzuki with a larger diameter vacuum brake pump to increase brake pressure for larger tyres?
The large Vitara lwb maybe?

I know the Jeep folks will install Hydro assist at around 35" tyres but their brakes are bad from factory.
On my SJ with 31" I think brakes where OK and far better than a 1985 Fiat anyway.

More
16 Nov 2023 20:30 #252164 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Re:Front brakes improvement
I have fitted the bigjimny vented disc conversion to 3 jimnys , DEFINITELY makes a difference in braking power and feel... and aiming to fit it to a 4th, have to recalibrate how you brake in the wet ( with bfg ko2) something you didn't have to do with standard brakes

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds