BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

More
25 Nov 2023 18:23 #252381 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

Thirdly in all the time I have had my jimny I have never felt that there is a great need for more power simply because the standard chassis handling dynamics will put you in a ditch. Not that you can't make a jimny faster because I have done that but I did it by improving the suspension, brakes and tyres so it was able to take full advantage of the available power and that one was honestly too fast for the road it only really made sense on track days.

Perhaps more power should not be equated with more speed - personally I would be interested in more power so as to be able to turn a larger tyre, yes, gearing helps, but so does power.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Nov 2023 20:08 #252384 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
OK but I'll wager that in those circumstances the increased load if coupled with extra power/torque is going to result in chasing breakages through the drive train making the next thing stronger and stronger.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Nov 2023 00:36 #252386 by BigJimy
Replied by BigJimy on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

Try Viper Performance in South Africa.

I was looking at a YouTube video a few nights back and the Jimny in the video was fitted with a "perfomance exhaust" from Viper, a long tube header with no catalytic converter, the first O2 sensor mounted under the floor roughly where the second O2 sensor would be, and the second O2 sensor mounted a little further back in an extended O2 bung so that it wouldn't cause a CEL.

The header also didn't have provision for EGR...

Here's the video...
Thanks mate, exactly what I was looking for, might try this shop, is there any ebay/paypal listing? 

More
26 Nov 2023 02:58 #252387 by fordem
This is their website  and that's about all the information I can give you - whilst I am interested in more power, I'm really not inclined to get involved in "improvised" methods of defeating the emission control systems.  I've been around long enough to know that what I saw in that video is not guaranteed to work.

More
26 Nov 2023 18:34 #252404 by fordem

OK but I'll wager that in those circumstances the increased load if coupled with extra power/torque is going to result in chasing breakages through the drive train making the next thing stronger and stronger.

There is an increased risk of breakage with increased power, but let's be realistic, we're not discussing boost here, you're unlikely to see more than about 5~10% more power from upgraded intake & exhaust systems.  There is also an increased risk of breakage with larger tyres, that is  largely going to be determined by driving style and the terrain being driven.  The component at highest risk is likely to be the front axles, and for the JB74, which is what I have, Longfield axles are available, not that I think I'm likely to need them.

I prefer to take a holistic approach to vehicle modification - what do you want to modify, how does the modification improve the vehicle, what are the ramifications of the modification, I need to know what I'm getting and what I'm giving up before I start.

More
02 Dec 2023 06:53 #252568 by IICIIEII
Replied by IICIIEII on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Without forced induction, all the power gains due to a remapping/different exhaust/different air intake are going to be quite marginal. Yeah, you will be able to tweak a bit here and there, and how the engine behaves at certain regime, but nothing special at all. That said, it will be difficult to really push the rest of the car to the limits either, so everything else should be fine.

Then yes... as mentioned in before, if substantial extra power is provided, the rest of the car has to be modified accordingly: suspension, brakes, clutch, potentially gearbox, radiators, chassis, etc. I think that doing all this to a Jimny would be a bit crazy, unless you just want to have some silly fun with it. It has two rigid axles and it is really not the car you would race in a B road or anywhere else.

More
02 Dec 2023 10:16 #252575 by Roger Fairclough
What's the point? So you tweak this and that - at considerable cost - and you gain 10bhp - maybe - and you drive it with verve and gusto and if you live in Redditch you try and drive our 270 deg. bend off the A435 and you loose it as you try and power out of the last curve. Armco is so un-forgiving.
If you want a sports car, buy one.

Roger

More
07 Dec 2023 03:21 #252681 by BigJimy
Replied by BigJimy on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Own many sports cars, and don't care about power, just don't want some ceramic particles from the catalytic converter to walk its way to the pistons, plus 270 deg turn might be a high speed one, depending on its radius.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Dec 2023 06:09 #252682 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

Own many sports cars, and don't care about power, just don't want some ceramic particles from the catalytic converter to walk its way to the pistons, plus 270 deg turn might be a high speed one, depending on its radius.

I'm sure that this is going to be like pushing water uphill but the exhaust system doesn't work like that. It uses scavenging whereby as a pluse of exhaust enters the exhaust manifold it creates a low pressure area behind the next exhaust valve which has the effect of helping to draw that next pulse out along with the diminished volume of the cylinder because of the rising piston and so on and on. What is not going to happen is bits of debris working against this flow to end up in the cylinder. A lot of this thread confuses me because by turns you are wanting to destroy the bearings in the motor by using the wrong oil which isn't going to be able to fully lubricate the very fine tolerances used and yet then you are worrying that somehow the motor might ingest particles through the exhaust system.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2023 09:21 #252685 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
It is exceptionally difficult to get meaningful.power gains from a twin-cam 16v engine without some sort of forced induction.  Breathing can't be improved much as all the work has been done for you.  It's not like the old days when yiu could fit bigger valves, extra carbs, and port the intake.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds