BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Manual Hubs install

More
06 Jul 2023 21:31 #249768 by JAGtheman
This evening after engaging 4wd, it failed to engage and now I have a flashing / illuminated 4wd symbol on the dash. I will now opt for manual hubs as I hear horror stories of failing vacuum systems. Before I order the hubs from Lambertengineering I have a few questions I hope the experts can help me with:
  1. Can I fit manual hubs with the 4wd light illuminated on the dash?
  2. Do I need to bridge wires somewhere? (conflicting info on this point ... for sure I dont want any illuminated/flashing lights on the dash)
  3. If I have to bridge wires, this is where I get lost... can someone explain what, where and how I must do this?
Help much needed.. my next spend was due to be the aircon pump which needs replacing but now that must wait......

Vehicle is a shiny, new looking 2008 Gen 3 manual, advanced stage of refurb back to like new.....

Help and comments much appreciated!

Julian

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2023 03:25 #249771 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Manual Hubs install
All I have done to stop the flashing light is seal off the rubber vacuum lines at the solenoids under the battery tray, being a shepherd I just used nails of a suitable diameter and zip tied them together to stop them moving. Works fine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Jul 2023 08:47 - 07 Jul 2023 08:47 #249775 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Manual Hubs install
If you look at the vacuum solenoids under the battery, there is a round vacuum switch. Join the wires together with a scotchlok.

Then you can remove the rubber vacuum feed from the manifold to the solenoids, and cap the manifold end spigot.

However, the original system relies on the seal in the wheel bearing ( -> 2WD) and the one between the CV joint and the hub (-> 4WD) so you may actually have failing swivel bearings pulling the CV out of alignment and causing the problem.

Leaving the system in place and plugging the vacuum pipes works provided that the original fault wasn't a sticking solenoid valve causing a loss of vacuum, or damage to the pipe from manifold to the solenoid valves. The solenoid valves get water inside if you go through water much over the axle and this makes them stick half open when they return under spring pressure- venting the vacuum tank.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 07 Jul 2023 08:47 by facade.

More
08 Jul 2023 08:08 #249783 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Manual Hubs install
This may help:

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
08 Jul 2023 18:21 #249787 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Manual Hubs install
The vac lines on my Jimny were blocked, so I got a solid green, but the hubs didn’t engage. I just plugged the vac line at the solenoid with a rubber bung and put a cable tie round, but a nail works just as well. I then fitted manual hubs.

If your lines are shot, just plug at the solenoid as well and if you are worried about the hubs, just plug thos as well.

I did intend to buy some flexible vac pipe and just replace all of the lines as there are several joints and a mixture of steel and flexible pipe in the Suzuki setup.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
08 Jul 2023 19:23 #249788 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Manual Hubs install
Thanks Lambert & Dr.R... as always!

Sir Facade!... you slipped a small comment that makes me go ooooops... "However, the original system relies on the seal in the wheel bearing ( -> 2WD) and the one between the CV joint and the hub (-> 4WD) so you may actually have failing swivel bearings pulling the CV out of alignment and causing the problem.".....

How would I know if this is the case?. The vehicle runs beautifully, no off road adventures in past 4 years, no funnny noises, smells or smoke. What would I look for? (Am now on hold till I cover this...!!)

JAG

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual

More
09 Jul 2023 16:45 #249797 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Manual Hubs install
In my experience failing kingpin bearings have no affect on the CV joint seal. The CV is well supported inside the spindle, which also carries the seal so it's a fairly robust setup. Wheel bearing failure will affect the seal behind the wheel bearing, and a new seal is usually included with the new wheel bearing for this reason.

More
10 Jul 2023 12:38 - 10 Jul 2023 12:39 #249804 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Manual Hubs install
I'm with Busta here, Cannot see how play in the swivel bearings could affect the seals in the hub. Most lip seals can take alot of misalignment before they fail, Not unusual to see tolerances up to 0.4mm of misalignment. Pulsing from run-out or a bad surface for the lip seals and contamination is what is the more common reason for them to fail.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2023 12:39 by yakuza.

More
11 Jul 2023 17:10 #249835 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Manual Hubs install
The vehicle has the slightest of death wobble at 50mph, but very little and easy to accelerate at rocket speed through this up to the magic 70mph. So I don't think I have any kingpin induced failures. Have a few weeks of continent hopping before I return to the UK and will close my eyes, purchase the hubs, a few nails and cable ties, out with my leatherman and lets see what happens. Will update for sure.

Thanks to all!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual

More
11 Jul 2023 18:04 #249836 by yakuza
Having had manual hubs on earlier suzuki models for many years I feel I must balance things a bit and say that manual hubs need service too, and vacuum hubs when working, will not force you to dive down into snow, mud, water to be engaged. I for one will Hunt for any vacuum leak for maybe up to an hour or two before ordering manual hubs.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
11 Jul 2023 19:57 #249839 by lesgrandepotato
Replied by lesgrandepotato on topic Manual Hubs install
I think my SJ has automatic front hubs, non vacuum. Not quite sure how they work. Maybe some sort of ratchet device?

Suspect they might not stay locked in rolling back mebbe? We’ll see!

More
11 Jul 2023 20:02 #249840 by yakuza
On the SJ if it is Just a small bulb there, it is permanently on. Or if they say auto and they poke out 60mm or so, they are most likely broken, or if manual you see the knob to switch over.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds