BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Location for aftermarket oil pressure sensor?

More
22 Jan 2023 18:18 - 22 Jan 2023 18:19 #247090 by Roger Fairclough
The following pics. show installation on a Gen.4 with one pic. showing a typical "T" piece and associated fittings. The hose is typical hydraulic. The screw thread into the block is 1/8" gas taper,

Roger 

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2023 18:19 by Roger Fairclough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2023 09:25 #247108 by Vandoni
So you just screwed a line into the stock oil pressure sensor position and added the y piece with the stock and aftermarket sensors?

More
23 Jan 2023 14:39 #247118 by Roger Fairclough
Basically yes. The end you screw into the block needs to have a tapered thread at both ends, but the block end needs to be to suit the thread at that end. Mine was 1/8" gas thread but you can check yours with your hydraulic fittings supplier. The other end needs couplers that suit the "T" or "Y" piece that you buy. Use PTFE tape at all tapered thread joints and make certain that your hose is long enough to accommodate any engine movement.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vandoni

More
23 Jan 2023 15:49 #247122 by Vandoni
Mh ok, i'll see if I can make something like that in my case, thanks for the info! 

More
29 Jan 2023 16:26 #247256 by Motacilla
Here's an alternative approach, using an adapter under the fuel filter. Allows both a pressure and a temperature sensor.

LINK

This is a Gen4, dunno if it'll look the same under your Jimny.  Japanese language site, use your favorite translation tool or just follow along with the photos.

Good luck!

More
30 Jan 2023 09:48 #247265 by Roger Fairclough
Link doesn't work for me.

Roger

More
30 Jan 2023 14:42 #247275 by fordem
It doesn't work for me either, but from the description it's what is commonly known as an oil filter sandwich plate (or adapter) - a quick google search will get you several examples.

It might be easier to fit a sandwich plate on an M-series engine (it sits between the block and the filter and moves the filter away from the block by an inch or so), but it's important to note that the pressure measured at a sandwich plate port MAY be different from that measured at the engine's oil pressure port - the sandwich plate port is on the inlet side of the filter, the oil pressure port in the block is on the outlet side of the filter.

In theory, the pressures will be very similar as the filter will hopefully allow oil to pass freely, but that said, as the filter traps contaminants, the flow will be reduced, the filter should have a bypass valve to allow flow (of unfiltered oil) in the event of the media becoming clogged, should that happen, there WILL be a significant pressure differential across the media & bypass valve.

Taking the pressure reading at the oil pressure port will reveal the reduced pressure, taking the reading at the sandwich plate port will not.

More
30 Jan 2023 15:59 #247276 by Motacilla
Sorry chaps, the link is working but just veeeeery slow for whatever reason.  Godzilla chewing on the underwater internet cables I suspect.  

Also obv I meant to say "adapter under the oil filter."  Fordem described it in detail.  

Some other fun JDM-style mods on that page (when it does finally load).

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds