BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Air Con Compressor

More
17 Jan 2023 17:51 #246971 by PeterH
Air Con Compressor was created by PeterH
2013 Jimny.
I had a completely flat battery and traced a current draw to the air con compressor. With everything turned off as soon as I reconnect the battery the compressor goes 'clonk' and draws about 2 amps. I've temporarily disconnected it.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2023 18:08 #246973 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Air Con Compressor
The A/C compressor is most likely a clutch style compressor, and the clutch is controlled by a relay, which is either shorted, or being commanded closed by the ECU.

More
17 Jan 2023 18:16 #246974 by PeterH
Replied by PeterH on topic Air Con Compressor
Which relay? 2 are in with the fuses and 2 are attached to the side of the fuse box.
I will take a photo tomorrow.

More
17 Jan 2023 23:06 #246979 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Air Con Compressor
You should be able to feel or here the relay engaging as you connect or disconnect the battery. Also it will become a tiny bit hotter than the other not engaged relays. and of course check the color of the wires to the Ac-solenoid/magnet and see if similar colors can be found at any relay.
Also if you disconnect the relay and the current stops drawing you found it as well..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
18 Jan 2023 16:37 #247000 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Air Con Compressor
If the relay is faulty it may not "click" if it's welded short circuit.
I've not checked as it's too cold for my old bones, but I assume the electric clutch on the compressor has a connector local to it?
If so you could unplug this to temporarily remove the clutch and see it this is the actual reason for the current. 
After this you may still need to find that relay, but at least your battery won't go flat whilst you check.

I could be wrong, just putting a suggestion forward which may help.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
18 Jan 2023 21:10 #247003 by PeterH
That's exactly what I did. It's stopped the battery drain so car is usable. Like you I thought I wouldn't hear relay clicking if at fault.
When weather warms up a bit I will try, by process of elimination, to identify which relay it is.
I was rather hoping someone would tell me - so I could go straight to it.

More
18 Jan 2023 21:31 #247004 by Scimike
If no one comes forward with the answer I will try and hear which relay it is on ours. Off work tomorrow so as long as it's not raining I'll take a look.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 Jan 2023 07:52 #247031 by Scimike
I've failed you, sorry.
I did look, but it's impossible for me to hear the relay involved with the AC clutch as the clutch itself is very loud. I'll try and find any circuit diagrams I may have and hope they give a clue.

More
20 Jan 2023 11:57 - 20 Jan 2023 12:15 #247035 by PeterH
Thanks for checking.
I confess that now the car is working with the compressor disconnected the urgency to find the relay has gone. I will wait until its not so cold outside.
I did find this photo on the web. This is exactly the same fuse / relay box as mine.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jan 2023 12:15 by PeterH. Reason: Added photo

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds