BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Vacumm Hubs Just For a Change

More
21 Dec 2022 12:52 #246483 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Vacumm Hubs Just For a Change
The hoses go back along the radius arm to the chassis mount so there's a chance you might have caught them.
Yes I put the T pieces close to the solenoids and then run each pair of hoses from there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2022 14:03 #246484 by DrRobin
Thanks. I bet that is what happened. I know the 4WD was working before I fitted the guards and I can't say I have actually used it since, or at least noticed it wasn't working.

I remember seeing some hose, I thought I had been careful to avoid it when fitting the guards, but I might have caught a line and not realised. I will check tomorrow when I fit the manual hubs.

If that is all it is fitting new hose should be quite quick and easy, especially as you say, route it round the engine bay and down the brake hose.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Dec 2022 16:37 #246494 by DrRobin
AVM manual hubs fitted this morning, all straight forward and easy to fit/operate.  I blocked up the pipe so the pressure sensor works correctly.

Now we just need some snow or a bit of a muddy track.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

More
23 Dec 2022 09:03 #246497 by DrRobin
I had a good look at the vac hose, it only goes a short way along the radius arm, then in a flexible pipe to the body work behind the engine, so I definitely didn’t catch it when fitting the radius arm guards.

I found that 4mm vac hose is available in different colours, so when I do it I will use say red for lock and blue for unlock.

I am not sure how much I will need, about 3-4m of each colour? Still it’s 9nly about £2.50 per metre, a lot cheaper than the complicated original pipe work with all of its joints.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
23 Dec 2022 13:17 #246501 by Busta
I use clear PVC hose. It's around £10 for 10m and that's enough to do the whole lot.

More
23 Dec 2022 13:45 #246502 by Roger Fairclough
I would add a caveat to this discussion. The system operates on a vacuum, so make certain any hose you use won't collapse when used.

Roger

More
23 Dec 2022 16:17 #246505 by DrRobin
Thanks guys.

It’s automotive vacuum pipe I have been looking at, so guess it is suitable.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
23 Dec 2022 20:35 #246511 by Scimike
I like the colour coding idea.
If (when) the tubing fails on mine I was considering making a new set out of copper Brake pipe, simply as I have meters of the stuff and can flange the end to suit any flexible pipe connections. I was going to use the originals as a template, solder fixings in the same place etc, so it looks original without the cost.
Daft idea or good idea, open to all comments, just mulling the options?
Reading all I can on the subject it certainly looks like a pipe problem on yours.
Good luck with the fix when you do it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 Dec 2022 22:23 #246512 by DrRobin
Great idea Mike, if you have the tubing, the skill and the time, why not make your own? After all it ticks all of the boxes, it will work, it’s recycling/up cycling, it will be satisfying to do and best of all it won’t cost anything, it will look great if you polish it before fitting, there is no downside.

In fact can you make me one please?

Have a nice Xmas everyone,

Robin.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
24 Dec 2022 09:35 #246516 by Scimike
Ok sou​​​nds promising.
Happy to make you a set if I can get it to work. I was going to make a template board from the originals so I can bend to shape off the vehicle, sort of how they do wiring looms.
It's something I'll have a go at If mine fail as time is not an issue for me. I need to remove my pipes intact, but at the moment they work so don't want to touch a runner. 
Not sure about polished finish, may cost extra 

Yes have a great break everyone 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
24 Dec 2022 10:06 #246521 by Busta
Thank's for reminding us the vacuum hubs use a vacuum Roger.

After fighting with them when removing the front diff a couple of times I was quite happy to get rid of the pipes along the axle. The standard routing doesn't seem to be very well thought out. I certainly wouldn't put much effort into replicating it.

More
27 Dec 2022 15:09 #246572 by Roger Fairclough

Thank's for reminding us the vacuum hubs use a vacuum Roger.

After fighting with them when removing the front diff a couple of times I was quite happy to get rid of the pipes along the axle. The standard routing doesn't seem to be very well thought out. I certainly wouldn't put much effort into replicating it.
It wasn't the hubs I was worried about Busta. My comment was made in the spirit of being helpful, and didn't warrant your comment. I have known that thin walled hose can collapse when subjected to a vacuum. If I have offended anyone with my caveat, I apologise.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds