BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New slam panel!

More
01 Dec 2021 13:27 #240425 by LM42
New slam panel! was created by LM42
Hello all!

Got a new slam panel (thank you James) what is the process to take off the old one? And fit thr new one ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2021 20:22 - 01 Dec 2021 22:15 #240431 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New slam panel!
The biggest tip is to take your time and think before you grind or cut any metal.
Start with the new panel.  What have you got and if you offered it to the vehicle how would it fit. Slow small steps. 
I've done plenty of vehicle repairs, but not my Jimny just yet.
I suspect the slam panel is spot welded to the inner wings / wheel arch at the front each side. The outer wings unbolt and the lower portion of the panel is bolted to the chassis, although that's the bit that usually rotted away. You should be able to see the spot welds, simply drill them out with a 6 - 8mm drill, you can then split the panels with a pry bar or a misused screwdriver. You can get a spot-weld drill bit which saves one side of the metal, but it's not essential.
Once removed clean any rust away or repair rotten bits that remain on the car. To fit you use the existing drilled holes to "plug weld" the two panels together, if you are careful and use this method the finish looks original, i.e like a spot weld. Google is you best source of videos on this technique.
​​​​​​
This assumes the slam panel is new, if it's been cut from a donor car then it may have bits of the inner wing etc attached. This can be good as a source of repair panels and to see how it's all held together. You could split as you would for new, or you could cut your car panels to match the bits on the used slam,  then seam weld the panels together. Possibly quicker but more visible as a repair unless you grind the joint smooth.

Which ever route you take lightly tack the replacement part in place and check you bonnet / wings still fit and shut. It's easy to adjust with a few light tacks, a real pain in the a*se once it's welded together.

Apply seam sealer, prime and paint and admire your new panel.

Good luck,  go slow and enjoy.

Sorry I can't be Jimny specific, but it's been done by a few on here so I am sure they will be along, hopefully with a few photos.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Dec 2021 22:15 by Scimike. Reason: Auto correct
The following user(s) said Thank You: LM42

More
02 Dec 2021 09:25 #240441 by LM42
Replied by LM42 on topic Re:New slam panel!
Thank you, it's a new panel , was thinking of patching but possibly simpler to just use a whole new panel

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

More
02 Dec 2021 09:43 #240442 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:New slam panel!
What I have seen on the web re Jimny Slam panel and rust I suspect you will end up  fitting the new panel. You probably will still end up patching some of the inner wing below the headlamps unless you are lucky, this appears to be the area with spot welds that holds everything together.

But if the rotten area is small then using the panel as a sacrificial source is also an option, but only if you can easily weld the parts together.

So start by cutting the rust out of your Jimny and see how much is left (stop if you make it back to the seats - Jimny joke :-) )

Time to take a close look at the amount of rot on your car and decide the best route. 

Time for many cups of tea whilst you figure the repair out.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
02 Dec 2021 12:35 #240443 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Re:New slam panel!
I did my slam panel recently. 

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...-a-birthday?start=48

It wasnt too much work.  There's not a detailed process on my thread as I had a lot to get through, but there is a few before and after pictures.  I'd agree with most of what schmike said with the addition of bracing the front of the wings so that when you do eventually get to pulling out the old panel, you can be more confident the new one will be just as straight.  I bolted in a piece of flat bar across the wings to stop lateral misalignment and welded a gusset to it to stop any longitudinal movement and that seemed to work for me.  I'd also take some pics to ensure you are getting similar gaps between panels to compare it to at the end.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LM42

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds