BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine oil grade change?

• jeanma27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2021 16:27 #236302 by jeanma27
Engine oil grade change? was created by jeanma27
Hello I wish to know, I live in the Dominican Republic, the Caribbean, its hot climate most of the time, I've always used 5w-30 but someone recently recommended using 10w-30 is this the right grade for the climate I live in? Should I change from 5 to 10? Is it safe to just change it or do I need to flush someway? I have aroung 65,000 km on my Suzuki Jimny 2009

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2021 18:07 #236311 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Engine oil grade change?
The first number in oil grade is the cold start thickness obviously. 5 is thinner than 10!, but hey you don't get - temps in the morning do you in the Domonican republic . So why not use 10/30 ...the 30 is the important bit it relates to the temp the oil looses viscosity ...stick to 30 ...so no real worries I wouldn't have thought .n
Just changing the oil and filter should be fine . As long as both oils are the same ..as in fully synthetic or semi ...best not mixing the 2 .. Then may a quick flush after a drive .
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeanma27

• jeanma27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2021 09:37 #236382 by jeanma27
Replied by jeanma27 on topic Engine oil grade change?
Makes sense! Thanks a lot for the answer!

More
05 Jul 2021 18:14 #236433 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Engine oil grade change?
If you look in your handbook there is an oild grade chart showing which oils should be used in which temperature ranges. There are usually a few different grades that can be used at any one temperature, so it's likely that both grades will be fine. You don't need to a full flush between changing. I doubt you will notice any difference if you do change, it's a pretty minor thing.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds