BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Reverse 4wd up steep clunky concrete driveway?

• hilcharge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2021 05:12 #235677 by hilcharge
Hi all,

Just got a new Jimny 650cc, which barely fits into my "driveway" - a steep and clunky DIY concrete job by my landlord. The road leading in is tarmac. I need to reverse into the spot in to make room to open the door. 

Getting in is just a few meters of reverse with a little steering to navigate/correct between the obstacles.

Is it OK to use 4wd to reverse into the driveway? Or should I just improve my skills enough to get the 2WD working? So far I have been unable to successfully use 2wd as I keep rolling downhill or stalling (clearly my skills not good enough yet). But when I use 4wd it seems some automatic rolling prevention? 

See attached picture, note especially the curb getting up. However I've been reading about how bad 4wd on grippy surfaces can be, so not sure if this would be in the tolerable zone, or in the danger zone. 

I don't use daily, but prefer avoiding attrition as well, want to keep it healthy for the long haul. 

Thanks very much for any car health or more general driving advice for this case.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2021 06:28 #235679 by mlines
It's sounds to me as if it will be fine to use 4wd

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
09 Jun 2021 07:26 #235680 by lightning
Use 4wd and low range.

The Jimny will "walk" up the drive without touching the accelerator which will be much easier than trying to regulate it with the clutch.

l often use low range on the Defender to negotiate customers drives and entrances.
Although the Defender is permanent 4wd.

But there's no turning required on your drive so you shouldn't have any issues with transmission "wind up"

More
09 Jun 2021 07:26 #235681 by Busta
You will only benefit from 4wd if the wheels are spinning in 2wd,which doesn't seem to be the issue. However low range will make this kind of manoeuvre easier. It is the kind of sitiation where my 2wd low mod comes in very useful. I'm not sure if anyone has worked that out for the Gen4 yet though?

More
09 Jun 2021 07:47 #235682 by mlines
and in answer to your other question.

The new Jimny has a hill start function which is probably kicking in to prevent rollback in 4WD

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds