BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4WD indication light doesn't blink

• DavJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2020 09:48 #228104 by DavJimny
4WD indication light doesn't blink was created by DavJimny
Hi guys,

My mum just bought a Jimny - it's a manual, 2016 model.

The rear door was rattling something chronic, but I managed to fix it with the help of this forum (thanks!). I can't recall the thread, but there's a rubber disc mounted to the rear door that can be repositioned so that it fits more snugly in the frame housing when the door is closed - a nice, simple fix that worked!

However, there's another potential issue that I've come across... The manual states that when engaging 4WD, the green indication light (front/rear axle and drivetrain) should blink momentarily before becoming solid. In this particular Jimny the light simply goes solid when the 4WD button is depressed (no preliminary flashing/blinking whatsoever). This is accompanied by a light clunk. 4WD H & L definitely work - had to engage 4WD a couple of times just to to get up the slippery dirt drive.

Should I be concerned that the 4WD indication light turns solid straight away? Is the 4WD system skipping over an important part of the engagement process, perhaps?

Cheers,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2020 12:48 #228106 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic 4WD indication light doesn't blink
Sounds to me like a nice newish car that works like it should. The rest of us have wait on blinking lights while the system makes its mind up. Chris

• DavJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2020 20:42 #228120 by DavJimny
Replied by DavJimny on topic 4WD indication light doesn't blink
Thanks - your reply gives me peace of mind!

Before long I'll probably be back asking how to stop the light from blinking... :)

David

More
12 Sep 2020 20:55 #228121 by Scimike
I personally think it's a good idea to exercise this system once a month just to keep things sliding as they should. I find my system works quicker if I do this rather than leaving it, I suspect it's old grease in the hubs (2009) that appreciates the periodic movement.
It's also good to know it's working rather than finding out on the day I actually need it to work. This is just due to my Jimny spending 90% of it's life in 2WD.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• DavJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2020 09:22 #228181 by DavJimny
Replied by DavJimny on topic 4WD indication light doesn't blink
Thanks for the tip - I'll keep the 4WD system exercised! Luckily that isn't too much of an issue - just getting up the drive requires 4WD engagement.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds