BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tailgate strut

• New boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2020 12:29 #224995 by New boy
Replied by New boy on topic Re:Re:Tailgate strut
As my Previous message said I just measured a gas strut on a Vitara in the Suzuki show room, checked the length (51cm) and got it from the spares department. It’s about 2cm longer than the Jimny one as I recall but otherwise the same

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2020 12:37 - 13 Jul 2020 14:25 #224996 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Re:Re:Tailgate strut

For anyone interested in the SGS gear, here's the parts North West Overlander fitted (with the addition of a locking strut cover giving you the ability to lock out the gas strut during high winds/inclines. This is optional)

Total extended length of the strut is 450mm, with the addition of 2 x ball joints (25mm in length) that gives an overall length of 500mm B)

They also sell the same gas strut in an adjustable format, ideal for those with heavier tyres fitted to the rear door. The OE Strut is rated at 280N, so this is the eject force you should request when adding the strut to your basket. Or as above, buy an adjustable one so that you can tailor it to your requirement (additional load to your boot door, storage & MT tyre).

source OE specs: www.buycarparts.co.uk/stabilus/15259155
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jul 2020 14:25 by DAGZOOK.

More
13 Jul 2020 15:41 - 13 Jul 2020 15:45 #225002 by DAGZOOK
**UPDATE** I've just ordered the following:

I found this was the most cost effective design, giving me a 512mm long strut when fully extended, the original Strut is 480mm. I went for a 300N Strut which is very slightly uprated in comparison to the OE unit (280N). But for belt and braces I also purchased the optional safety lock out tube (£15). This is because I have a dog, I'll now have the ability to lock the door open in high winds or when parked on a steep incline.

I'll post some photo's once it's been installed.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jul 2020 15:45 by DAGZOOK.

More
13 Jul 2020 15:49 #225003 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Re:Re:Tailgate strut
just in time! i was just about to push the button on the other one. I'll await your report.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
15 Jul 2020 15:32 #225125 by DAGZOOK
Bill, the Gas Strut locking tube was defective, Part of my locking safety tube was missing, SGS assemble the parts for you so I have to return the entire thing. I think I was sent a faulty unit, currently in the process of getting a refund through SGS, I didn't get a chance to install it :(

I'll keep you posted once I return & purchase a more appropriate unit, I must say I'm not that enamoured with the SGS quality may look elsewhere for the next attempt. I was attracted to their option because of the safety locking tube, I thought that would be a smart addition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
16 Jul 2020 19:23 #225183 by DAGZOOK
UPDATE:

The gas strut GS8-18-210-270 from SGS is a direct swap. Charged to 300N it opens nicely without being dangerous (I personally wouldn't want to risk a more powerful strut).

However I've got several issues. Firstly the strut SGS sent me came with a defective saftey locking tube. Secondly with the locking tube fitted it reduces the stroke of the strut by approximately 20mm causing it to bottom out when you attempt to close the door. :(

The compressed length of shock required from vehicle ball joint centres is 305mm therefore both OE and the above SGS strut are compatible without the locking safety tube fitted. (Bummer for me because I was attracted to the concept of a locking strut).

My third and final issue is the deal breaker. The OE strut fully extended is 480mm. To open the door parallel with the side of the vehicle the gas strut needs to be a minimum of 500mm (ball joint centres). Sadly after 490mm of the door opening the electrical harness coming from the rear of the cabin to the rear door becomes uncomfortably tight. I don't personally want to risk fatiguing these cables after 100's of door operations. They're nice and relaxed with he OE strut fully extended.

So in summary, yes you can order the same strut that I've specified above in my order confirmation and it'll give you great access to the rear of your JIM. You cannot match it with a safety locking tube because it will reduce the stroke of the strut and you'll bottom it out. But carry out this upgrade at your own risk, the rear electrical harness could become compromised after years of opening and closing.

I'll be returning my strut and getting a refund. I may consider a 480mm replacement in the future with a bit more ejection power, but that's it. I'll live with the lack of full opening. There may be a harness clipping point inside the rear door that can be relaxed you give you a bit more cable slack, but at the moment I'm not prepared to investigate any further.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope this helps others out there make an informed decision! Sadly this wasn't mentioned by North West Overlander.

More
17 Jul 2020 07:53 #225215 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Re:Re:Tailgate strut
Very helpful post Dagzook, it's a shame that it looks like it won't work out. I'm not worried about opening the door more, but a stronger strut with a locking option would be ideal. Sounds like that's not viable either. I'll probably just go for the stronger strut, at least it'll stop the door closing on me so often when parked on a slope. Can you confirm that you need new ball socket bits to go with the sgs strut? The oem ones don't mate with the sgs strut?

More
17 Jul 2020 12:29 - 17 Jul 2020 12:32 #225232 by DAGZOOK

Bill Portland wrote: Very helpful post Dagzook, it's a shame that it looks like it won't work out. I'm not worried about opening the door more, but a stronger strut with a locking option would be ideal. Sounds like that's not viable either. I'll probably just go for the stronger strut, at least it'll stop the door closing on me so often when parked on a slope. Can you confirm that you need new ball socket bits to go with the sgs strut? The oem ones don't mate with the sgs strut?

Bill, The OEM Stabilus Ball joints look permanently fixed to the strut. So if you're going to order an SGS Strut you'll need two M6 threaded 10mm ball joints. If you want a bit more power for your Strut I wouldn't advise that you go much higher than 350N The one I ordered felt plenty and that was 300N didn't get a chance to test it on an incline though. No idea what power NWO ordered, his nearly tipped the Jimny over when he opened it! (You specify this number before you add the strut to your cart).

Strut (450mm in length):

www.sgs-engineering.com/gs8-18-200-250

Ball Joints (you'll need two) :

www.sgs-engineering.com/b1-push-fit-plastic-ball-socket

Total length of strut from ball joint centres 450mm + 32mm = 482mm (Near as damn it identical to the OE strut).
Last edit: 17 Jul 2020 12:32 by DAGZOOK.

More
17 Jul 2020 12:35 #225233 by DAGZOOK
I'm going to continue hunting for other companies that sell gas struts. I've heard good things about a brand called 'Camlock'. I'm determined to find a safer locking strut for the rear door so that my doggo can hop in and out without risk of the door falling closed.

More
18 Jul 2020 12:08 - 18 Jul 2020 12:10 #225276 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Tailgate strut
Here is my DIY strut lock. Made from 25mm plastic conduit. Keyhole cut in the end that pushes over the ball mount, to hold it in place. I hot glued a washer to the end of the tube and put shrink sleeve over for a bit of protection. The shrink sleeve also gives a bit of friction, just enough to stop the conduit sliding about round corners. When rear door is open, just give it a slight nudge to allow the lock to drop into place.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2020 12:10 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
18 Jul 2020 16:43 - 18 Jul 2020 17:44 #225284 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Tailgate strut
Nicely done Soeley! great work as always. That actually works in exactly the same manner as the one I received from SGS (All be it defective). It slid over the rod end of the strut, it had a 15mm thick collar that was held in place by the ball joint which screwed onto the M6 rod thread. It was the thickness of this collar that affected the struts compressed length!

I've complained that SGS don't mention the compensation required when offering the safety lock tube as an option of their configurator tool.

I watched an autocar review recently on YouTube (I think it was the new landcruiser?) the rear boot strut locked with a simple quarter turn? must have been an adjustable valve or something within the strut. Very neat idea!

*EDIT* found the video I was talking about. Scroll to 2.00minutes, this is the kind of locking strut I'm looking for. May try and find out the specs for that part!
Last edit: 18 Jul 2020 17:44 by DAGZOOK.

More
18 Jul 2020 19:39 #225293 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Tailgate strut
That's quite neat!

As a side note, I have just bought the wife a Ford Ecosport (side opening rear door) when you oper the rear door it only opens about a third of the way, give it another push and it opens all the way. I have got as far as measuring the strut and it is longer (can't remember the number now). I do intent to try it on the Jimny to see how it works out. I think a two stage opener will be quite useful at times.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds