BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Hard to shift into gear, Manual transmission '16

• Snowleo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2020 04:25 - 29 May 2020 04:28 #222963 by Snowleo
Hey all, so I recently encountered this problem with my Manual Jimny. Basically it started with the clutch pedal sounding a bit squeaky but it shifted perfectly and it went away after sometime. I assumed that the clutch pedal box needed some lubrication or something.

But a few weeks ago, I have had this problem with I basically need hulk strength to put it in gear. What i mean by that is that it is hard to put it in first gear when the car is completely stopped and even shifting into 2nd is a hard from standstill when the car is running. Putting it in the first gear/second gear is like pulling the car from a gear into neutral without using the clutch.

I took it to a mechanic, who told me that the clutch cable needed adjustment, so he adjusted it for me and the car shifted perfectly for a week until it encountered the same problem. Again, I took it back and he adjusted it more for me and again, I encountered the same problem after a week. Took it to a different mechanic, who said the same thing and adjusted it for me and after another week, the same problem happened.

So needless to say, I am pretty dumbfounded at what the problem is. I'd like to know what i should do?, should i replace the clutch cable?.

Quick edit: When the car is off, it is pretty smooth to put in gear but when it is running is when i encounter problems.
Last edit: 29 May 2020 04:28 by Snowleo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 May 2020 05:58 #222966 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I have not heard of this specific issue with such a new car but it sounds like the cable is somehow either stretching or slowly coming apart in some way either that or the adjustment is working loose but I might have expected two garages to have spotted that. I would have a new clutch cable on first as that is simple and less expensive. Has either garage had an inspection camera inside the bellhousing to examine the clutch at all?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Snowleo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2020 12:27 #222980 by Snowleo
Thanks, I think I'll be replacing the clutch cable. These garages didn't not check the clutch.

It hard to find someone who wants to work/knows how to work on a manual transmission in my country. So I can either take to the dealer ( who will probably quote me a new clutch) or I resort to these small garages.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds