BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Removing Rubber Bushes from Radius Arms

More
13 Dec 2020 17:35 #230886 by Roger Fairclough
mickt has a point. Always cut into the sleeve opposite the main section of the radius arm. As a variation on cutting through the rubber you can use a suitable sized hole saw..

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2020 07:31 #230899 by yakuza
I do not recommend the hacksaw or burning method as there is a risk of damage.

Since i last commented here, I saw a youtube video of someone using bits of steel pipe, pipe sockets, and a threaded rod thru and just pressed out by screwing.
It looked very easy as most tips on youtube do, but I cannot find the actual video now as usual.

Here is another one:

Nice beard :)

there is also the possibility of giving the rods to a garage and pay them for just the pressing work..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
14 Dec 2020 11:06 #230900 by Old Neil
Getting the old ones is half of the job, if you don't have the proper tools not shore how you would do it i used a 12 ton capacity press and they let go with a bang, as previously said take the arms to a workshop will save a world of grief

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
14 Dec 2020 21:04 #230909 by Scimike
i've changed plenty of Metalastic bushes and the most reliable way to get them out is to use a press if you can. In some cases you can't, such as the Land Rover chassis bush, the only reliable option is to cut the rubber out with and appropriately sized long hole saw and carefully slit the remaining outer tube with a hacksaw.
I've tried the various home made bush pullers that make it look easy on YouTube as shown above, they all failed. I even made a bush puller out of high tensile M12 threaded rod and quality parts, it simply failed with a bigger bang.
Once they are out fit polybush or similar unless you have a press to push them back in.

I got quite good in the end, 6 minutes to remove a chassis bush.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
15 Dec 2020 12:59 #230915 by Old Neil
Oooopss my apologies for putting my 2 pence in before reading the beginning were the procedure is explained

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
15 Dec 2020 16:45 #230918 by jackonlyjack
Make a puller from an old scissor jack
I have witnessed one doing the job ;)

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds