BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen4 front speaker upgrade

More
19 Mar 2024 19:46 #255177 by 300bhpton

I'm planning to do this at the weekend.  I have some Rockord Fosgate speakers (10 years ago, I fitted some to a gen3 and it sounded really good).  The "basket" of the speaker sits in the adaptor just fine.  However, the four mounting lugs, as with the Pioneer speakers shown above, are well outside the adaptor.  The Pioneer has extra holes inboard of the lugs, but the RF ones don't. Is it a case of drilling through the speaker mounting flange?

I think one issue is that the adaptor is meant for 13cm speakers but most "13cm" speakers are actually 5 1/4", which is a bit bigger.
Sadly it seems that the adapter kit was designed specifically for the Pioneer speakers instead of an industry universal size. Such a PITA, makes you wonder why car makers do nonsense like this. I have some JBL speakers that have needed the rings adapted to fit them. Not yet installed in the vehicle though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2024 10:24 - 22 Mar 2024 10:25 #255202 by rogerzilla
Yes, it looks a bit of a challenge although the Pioneer speakers aren't much more premium than the standard rubbish!

I think I'll fit Pioneers to the front and use the RF speakers at the rear later.  The adaptor plate for there is much bigger and can easily be drilled to match more normal speaker mounting holes.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2024 10:25 by rogerzilla.

More
22 Mar 2024 18:17 #255206 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
Just fitting rear speakers in my Gen 4, well I will be when everything arrives.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds