BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing front shafts... Opinions?

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Apr 2017 14:53 - 12 Apr 2017 15:15 #180178 by X8GGY
Ok all, I'm in a bit of a quandary...

Blew one of my Rob Storr CVs at the weekend greenlaning which then rubbed the splines off the end of the shaft when I drove back to civilisation... it's been in for four years / 48 trips so it's lasted very well, no issues with that...

So... been on to Rob Storr to source a replacement, BUT, what do you think? Should I replace the one CV (and shaft) or should I replace the PAIR based on the four years of (ab)use?

If so, the TG ones from JimnyBits are cheaper at £402, than Rob Storr's £525 the pair?

What do you think? I'm erring on the side of caution and thinking of replacing the two whilst it's all stripped down ready for a rebuild?...

And then I'd have more "mainstream" parts too, easier to get replacements...

Thanks in advance ;)

Dave
Last edit: 12 Apr 2017 15:15 by X8GGY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2017 16:25 #180183 by safari
i have them for 4 years also with no issue till now,will the jimny bits fit with same diff since we changed the spiders and why dont u just chq the rest a nearly broken or abused cv can be seen if well cleaned, if i am not wrong the cv can also be divided in 2 pieces

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

More
12 Apr 2017 16:35 #180184 by j999pre
Dave i also have a set of rs ones. The driver's side died and did the shaft in. The passenger side I've taken out and it seems stiff to rotate through all it's angles. These were second hand to me so i don't know if this is how they were when new or whether it is on its way out also. Shaft and CV replacement i was quoted £225 for the short side.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
12 Apr 2017 16:59 #180185 by Jezz
Really you should only be needing to source a stubby shaft from RS as thats supposed to give before the cv?
I think if it was myself i would just replace the pair and keep whats left for spares. As to what you replace them with is obviously your choice.
The RS gear is good, I was led to believe whilst reading another forum the cvs are standard off the shelf items used in another vehicle. (scooby maybe?) I can't remember now, I have a set of longfield's on the shelf ready to go in mine but i have never managed to break what ever is in there at the moment. I got mine from Rob at ORA. so it may be worth a quick call to see what he has.
I don't know how you manage to break so much Dave, you must have a heavy right foot :laugh: .

It's been fettled just a tad.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Apr 2017 18:22 #180189 by X8GGY
Safari - Yes, JimnyBits sell 22 and 26 spline shafts... I'll inspect the other CV but it's hard to gauge the fatigue it's had over 48 greenlaning trips...

James - Why couldn't you have done the other side?! We could have made one good set then? ;)

Jezz - We're out laning once a month, so things do tend to break! Heavy right foot, or right heavy Jimny :lol: You could read the blurb two ways? I think the CV is the replaceable bit without having to buy the stub shaft again?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Apr 2017 05:53 #180205 by X8GGY
Jezz, from my build thread -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BALLS!

Literally! Ball bearings that is!

More in here, and pieces of CV...

Shafted too!

Empty CV :(

Ah well, as said, it lasted 48 trips, can't complain at that...

Might as well buy a new set then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No way I'm just replacing the stub shaft on that? :(

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2017 06:51 #180206 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Replacing front shafts... Opinions?
they shouldn't fatigue as you mention. That would mean the same will happen to the rear shafts as well. And I've only seen very few Jimny rear shafts break. You probably just broke it due to a bit too heavy right foot B)

I'd definitely get the TG stuff. As you mention yourself. A more mainstream parts, cheaper and easier to get spareparts. And you can always keep the RS shaft and joint as spare part.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Apr 2017 06:52 #180207 by X8GGY
Just ordered TG / Longfield shafts from JimnyBits... :)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Apr 2017 07:27 #180208 by X8GGY
And then minutes later, Rob Storr emailed me with a price for the spare parts (shaft and CV joint)...

So I have a spare pair on the shelf ;)

Funny how things fall into place...

Rear TG / Longfield shafts will be ordered from JimnyBits next week too, then I know I'm set for another few years extreme 'laning! :woohoo: B)

More
13 Apr 2017 10:03 #180211 by Jezz
It's good your sorted with new shafts Dave.Don't forget to take the spacers out from behind the front stub axles, as they are not needed with the longfields. I'd already seen the photo's of the damage, But i definately read the RS website blurb as the stubby shaft being the new weak link.
I'd be interested if there is a part number on the RS cv if you could have a look for me.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Apr 2017 11:08 #180214 by X8GGY
Will do Jezz ;)

I've emailed Rob Storr back to see if I can get another CV joint to make the passenger side 'as new' too...

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
21 Apr 2017 11:09 #180452 by X8GGY

Jezz wrote: It's good your sorted with new shafts Dave.Don't forget to take the spacers out from behind the front stub axles, as they are not needed with the longfields. I'd already seen the photo's of the damage, But i definately read the RS website blurb as the stubby shaft being the new weak link.
I'd be interested if there is a part number on the RS cv if you could have a look for me.

No identifying marks Jezz...

They arrived today... I have now got 2 CVs to make the set as good as new...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jezz

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds