BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Cruise Control Question.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2016 09:29 - 02 Jul 2016 10:36 #169429 by Crumbs
Jimny Cruise Control Question. was created by Crumbs
I've gone up market and replaced my 2000 automatic Jimny with a two year old automatic Jimny.

I had a VDO Temopostat cruise control on my old Jimny but my new Jimny SZ4 automatic does not have cruise control.

I am considering installing an AP500 cruise control kit with a CM35 control stalk.

Has anybody installed this kit on a recent Jimny?

It looks a though the kit needs to be wired to the brake light circuit, the park light circuit, the hand brake circuit and tapping into the RPM and speed sensor wires.

I understand the modern Jimny wiring monitors the wire resistances and any other loading may report overload. Am I correct?

Any help appreciated.

Colour of the five Jimny wires above would be an excellent starter for ten!
Last edit: 02 Jul 2016 10:36 by Crumbs. Reason: Typo correcton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2016 17:15 #169536 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
Hi people.

Bit of an update.

I have today purchased an AP500 cruise control kit together with a twin memory CM35 control stalk.

A local garage chap and I are going to work through the instructions and install shortly.

The Jimny is 2 years old so the wiring may not be the same as the older Jimnys.

I thing the last Jimny upgrade was 2013. Can any one confirm?

I'll keep notes and put them on this site.

If any body can put the wiring colours on here I would be extremely grateful.

Any body done this mod to a Jimny?

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2016 08:58 #169573 by johna
Replied by johna on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
No , but i will follow your endeavour. As i have been toying with the idea for some time.

More
16 Jul 2016 23:33 #170126 by Keithy
A much needed mod for travelling any distance in a Jimny.....subscribed as it's something I've been considering.

More
17 Jul 2016 07:34 - 17 Jul 2016 14:07 #170129 by gilburton
Because I had a dodgy right ankle which used to seize up after a couple of hours on the motorway I fitted this cruise control kit.
www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/produc...rol?ref=searchDetail
I had to fabricate a bracket and clamp it to the steering column to hold the clutch switch.
Yes it does work and you can either use the vehicles output wire ( green / yellow on the Jimny I believe but check it out) or you get a magnet and pickup which clamps to the prop.
In the instructions it tells you to screw the sensor to the floor but due to the transfer box the prop moves around too much and I lost a few magnets. I eventually clamped it on the front of the transfer box as it was more constant.
Unfortunately the clutch microswitch went and I never did get round to fixing it and I've never tried using the Jimny wire as my ankle is now ok.
It's a little complicated to fit but ok if you take one section at a time. It took me a weekend on my own more because I had to make up brackets etc.
The dash switch/pad is a bit clumsy to look at but you can buy a stalk if you wish.
Click on the "downloads" on the site and you'll get the installation instructions

If that is too complicated or expensive for you they also do a cheap "cruise control" but it's not a true cruise control as it just sets the throttle and won't adjust on hills like the other one will.
Might be handy for ploughing fields though?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 17 Jul 2016 14:07 by gilburton.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jul 2016 19:51 #170703 by Crumbs
Hi again,

My 2014 Jimny automatic now has cruise control.

The kit used was the AP500 from Bridgwater Electronics. Probably the most economical supplier and they give excellent after sales support to both customer and installer.

Fitting it to the Jimny is not technically too difficult if you have an aptitude for wiring and the use of a multi-meter/volt meter and are a neat and tidy worker.

The instructions are comprehensive and fold like a paper map.

The instructions need to be followed exactly. Be pedantic.

Non of the wires were spliced into Jimny wires to try and eliminate resistance changes triggering the modern warning lights for everything.

The electric throttle actuator was only a just fit behind the nearside headlight and needed a special cradle made. Not much space under the bonnet with all the ABS etc stuff these days.

The throttle end of the actuator had to have a special bracket made to allow the actuator cable to sit alongside the foot operated throttle cable. This was necessary because the 2014 Jimny carburetor butterfly does not have a bolt to attach a lever. The 2000 Jimny had one.

The road speed was picked up from behind the speedometer. Magnets round the prop shaft seemed silly for an off road capable vehicle, and they are an optional extra anyway.

Being an automatic there was no clutch switch required.

Getting technical help from Suzuki themselves was like getting blood out of a stone, an anemic stone at that..

Probably a good 2 to 3 days work to make the special cradle and bracket, read and understand the instructions, complete the wiring, test the individual functions and road test and fine tune the AP500.

Yes it can be done for the recent Jimny's which have the drive by wire but a cable throttle.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 09:24 #171787 by johna
you have 2 wires for the magnet sensor. black and blue/black.
what wires on the Jimny did you tap into
. did you cut the speedo wire and then connect the 2 wires to either end or are there 2 wires that you just tap onto.is the speedo wire the green and yellow wire that comes from the transfer box.
I have one fitted up to this point but i don’t really want to connect the magnets to the tail shaft, its to exposed.
john

• WailingJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 12:26 #171796 by WailingJimny
Replied by WailingJimny on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.

gilburton wrote:
If that is too complicated or expensive for you they also do a cheap "cruise control" but it's not a true cruise control as it just sets the throttle and won't adjust on hills like the other one will.
Might be handy for ploughing fields though?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Folks, I like the sound of this option, especially as I live in the flatlands of Cambridgeshire. As my vehicle is still under warrantee, do you think the dealers would see it as a problem ?

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 12:35 #171798 by Crumbs
I've installed the AP500 and my Jimny is still under warranty.

My Suzuki agent know what I have done and they have not raised any objections.

I replied to Johna this morning but it hasn't appeared. Do moderators hold postings back until approved?.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 13:10 #171799 by Crumbs
Hi Johna,

Post went missing this morning, so this is a second try.
The magnets on the propshaft wouldn’t last long in an off road vehicle.
We took the option to get the road speed sensor from the out sensor on the side of the gearbox. That sensor has been used for cruise control for the past 16years to my knowledge. You can also get the road speed from the back of the console. The gearbox is easier to get at but you have to make sure that the wire is properly anchored to prevent swinging about in the wind.
Because the Jimny is only two years old, all the connections were soldered at the sensors etc. No cables were spliced into to avoid potential problems with the ECU checking resistance and reporting faults.
Is yours an automatic or manual Jimny?
The manual gearbox needs a clutch switch and an over revving preventative function using the engine RPM, the automatic needs neither.
However an automatic like mine does have the potential to over rev if the AP500 is giving it full throttle at motorway speeds and the motorway gets so steep that the gearbox drops down a gear the kickdown kicks in and the engine revs it’s head off.
Are you installing an AP500? Have you got the instructions?

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 13:13 #171800 by Crumbs
Does anybody know if the settings of an AP500 control module can be read by a connected laptop or other device?

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2016 10:15 #171832 by johna
I have a AP60 which is vacuum activated and the vehicle is a 2003 manual It comes with the clutch switch which is all fitted . and according to the installation instructions the red led on the control unit says its all ok.As i removed the vacuum hubs and replaced them with the manual ones i used the vacuum tank that is already installed.
There are 3 wires coming out of the sensor on the gearbox which i have traced to the passenger side floor , under the speaker, a perfect place to connect to. 1 wire is black with orange stripe ,1 wire is green and yellow, 1 wire is blue and black.
The wires on the controller. 1 wire is blue and black , 1 wire is black.
what i need to know is what wire is connected to what. Can you see which one is connected to which on your car or is it all covered with tape.
john

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds