BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Cruise Control Question.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2016 12:54 #171834 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
Hi Johna,

We got a faulty control module from Bridgwater Electronics which didn’t work on the gearbox sensor so we connected to the back of the speedometer which also did not work. Bridgewater Electronics sent another control module which worked, so we left the speedometer connection in place. They said it was the first failure that they had had.

OK.

I am not as flexible as I used to be so I can’t look at the wiring without getting the garage to tell me.

However, on my 2000 Jimny the road speed was taken from the gearbox sensor for cruise control input. From memory the sensor also output to the speedometer.

On my 14 plate Jimny the connection was made to the gearbox sensor which had two wires already being output from it, at a guess one output to the ECU and one to the speedometer.

That’s why the gearbox sensor is the ideal connection point for road speed.

The speed signal is the AP900 blue wire. The yellow wire is RPM.

I don’t have a wiring diagram for the 14 plate Jimny.

Can’t you see the colour of the wires coming out of your gearbox sensor?

The cruise control kits are different, the Jimny’s are different, the gearboxes are different. Best of luck.

The link to the AP500 manual is ttp://tcag.com.au/documents/AP500%20installation%20manual.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2016 21:43 #171848 by johna
Replied by johna on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
yes i can but there are 3 of them. looks like trial and error then. i was hoping to have somebody that has just done it and can tell me the right colours.
john

• Shep
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 07:50 #171855 by Shep
Replied by Shep on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
Yellow with green trace but at the ecu as the same wire didn't work at the steering colum.

I used a ap60 as well and it works well. Can be a bit slow to initially get the correct speed but overall I am very happy with the ap60

Oh and you will need to cut the loop wire at the controller.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 10:08 #171856 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
Hi Johna,

Why not just solder the appropriate AP60 wire to the gearbox sensor?

• Shep
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 11:06 #171859 by Shep
Replied by Shep on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
The speed sensor is the yellow/green wire at the box of magic behind the glovebox

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 20:00 #171873 by johna
Shep
There are 2 wires from the controller that goes to the magnet sensor, blue with black stripe and a black wire , if the blue with black stripe is connected to the yellow with green stripe, What did you connect the black wire from the controller to.or do you just leave that unconnected.

crumbs
Because i don’t know which ones to connect to. i have 2 wires from the controller and 3 wires from the sensor .

• johna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2016 08:29 #171882 by johna
Ok got it. My problem was i was hooking into the green with yellow stripe wire instead of the yellow with green stripe wire there is not to much difference. and the black wire is not connected to anything..
It is immediately responsive not sluggish at all. The slowest it works is 50k which is about the same as my other car. so all in all it is a must have and very easy to fit.

More
30 Dec 2016 10:07 #176094 by AFCBTezza
Am thinking of having a Waeco MS-50 cruise control kit installed (Jimny '03 Auto) by an AA friend of mine - may I pick your brains please? ;-)

1. Can it be set to any speed? Read somewhere that the max is 50.
2. How long do think it would take him to install it?

Thanks

:-) :-) :-)

• Crumbley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2016 13:35 #176100 by Crumbley
Replied by Crumbley on topic Jimny Cruise Control Question.
Hi Tessa,

Mine was not a Waceo cruise control but it would need similar installation and throttle controls.

Rough estimate two to four hours for a competent installer with good experience of the particular cruise control.

The standard charge by installers is £200 to £300 which indicates that they are estimating four to six hours labour and still make a profit.

There are some rogues out there!

If it's the first one your friend has installed then it may easily take a whole day.

I have had mine working at 60mph with no problem.

One thing I would advise for an automatic, only have the maximum cruise control throttle opening a third to a half full throttle.

This is because if the cruise control is engaged and the road gets steeper the gearbox can drop down a gear. If the CC can access full throttle the engine will scream its head off and you can damage your engine.

This applies to CC's which have an automatic setting.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds