BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Uprated CVS and shafts

More
21 May 2015 14:17 #144556 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

TomDK wrote: You're completely missing the point Kirky. This isn't about whether the standard diff will hold up to the stronger shafts or not. This is only regarding 22 splines vs 26 splines. Isn't it pretty obvious that with stronger shafts and joints you'll be moving the weak point?

And to answer your comment on what I have to do to check if the shafts will hold.
What a silly suggestion. Why would I try to provoke a shaft or joint failure? I use my Jimny mostly for competition. HD shafts or not I need my stuff to last the entire race. One of the conditions for winning is having to complete the race on good time. Not possible with broken bits.
Warranty or not. And of course there's a point in having warranty. Anything can break. Even the "mighty" 26 splines stuff from RS.

I think I see the point very clearly Tom and it is everything to do with whether the standard diff will hold up to the stronger shafts because if it doesn't the stronger shafts are a waste of time and money and completely pointless!

Yes it is obvious that by adding stronger shafts you will move the breakages to the next weak point, so why gloss over it when championing these shafts and CV's?

It might be a silly suggestion to you that I want someone to test these shafts to see if the diff holds up and if they match their maker's claim but it's not a silly suggestion to every other person that may be encouraged to buy them by you championing them on this forum! I don't just want your word for it and as Russ is testing them before he sells them and I trust him to test them properly I shall await his verdict!

If I were you and I wanted my kit to last until the end of the race I think I would be testing it before the race to know it was up to the job! This will prevent any un-expected failures from lack of testing when in the heat of competition.

There is no point in having a warranty on the shafts if they lead to the breakage of the diff. The shaft manufacturer isn't going to pay out on the warranty as the shafts are fine still, it's your mangled diff that is the issue! If we know the diff can handle it and a shaft were to break then the warranty will be useful, but at the moment we don't know if the diff can handle it and I make that point.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with them.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2015 15:27 - 21 May 2015 15:29 #144564 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
Hmmm... all this set my little brain thinking...

I've got the biggerer fatterer superior 26 spline shafts :P

But what's inside my diff? How strong is the diff?

Remembering it's a Calmini Suzuki Vitara front LSD... 2 pin or 4 pin I thought?

Then I read - www.bits4vits.co.uk/lsdfsm.pdf (this is the manual for the rear, but I suspect the front is the same?)

That looks like a solid + cross in the middle?

How strong is that in relation to 2 and 4 pin diffs? :blink:

Dave
Last edit: 21 May 2015 15:29 by X8GGY.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 15:34 #144569 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
well the CV has turned up now so i can make a start, my shafts are 26 spline diff end, i can either

fit 26 spline side gears in the std jimny front diff

fit and convert a rear diff to fit in the front

fit a ARB locker with 26 spline side gears (my best choice, just out of the side gears)

so just waiting on a reply to how long the side gears will be and will probably go for that

Rus

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 15:45 #144571 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
So no 22 splines shaft from you Rus?

More
21 May 2015 15:47 #144572 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
So that begs the question, why are they making both if Tomdk claims the 22 spline are superior?

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
21 May 2015 17:21 - 21 May 2015 17:22 #144579 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

Jimny-Dave wrote: front LSD... 2 pin or 4 pin I thought?

Then I read - www.bits4vits.co.uk/lsdfsm.pdf (this is the manual for the rear, but I suspect the front is the same?)
Dave

The stock Vitara front diff is a two-pin, when fitting a locker a four-pin Samurai rear is a common upgrade.

Edit: here is a good link:
www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=4215&page=2

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 21 May 2015 17:22 by Rhinoman. Reason: add link

More
21 May 2015 17:29 - 21 May 2015 17:30 #144580 by X8GGY

Rhinoman wrote:

Dave

The stock Vitara front diff is a two-pin, when fitting a locker a four-pin Samurai rear is a common upgrade.

But the FSM shows a solid piece in the middle? -

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2015 17:30 by X8GGY.

More
21 May 2015 20:24 #144598 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
Ah, so the ones that you plan to sell are 26 spline then Russ? That changes things a bit.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 21:27 #144606 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

Jimny-Dave wrote:

Rhinoman wrote:

Dave

But the FSM shows a solid piece in the middle? -

Your front diff is a 4pin 26 spline Dave

More
21 May 2015 22:27 #144611 by Jezz
Rockwatt, if you don't mind. Knowing this is your field. Do you have a preference for 22 or 26 spline shaft, Or doe's it not matter a great deal?

More
21 May 2015 22:53 #144615 by Jezz
I should just say, I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I'm just interested in your thoughts on the big shaft small shaft, 2 pin 4 pin big spline etc argument.

More
22 May 2015 06:24 #144619 by X8GGY

Rockwatt wrote: Your front diff is a 4pin 26 spline Dave

Thanks Redacted B) Confirmation from the God of Gearing that mine's the best of both worlds then? ;)

(Rockwatt should know what spec' my diff is, as he machined it to fit in a Jimny carrier for me :kiss: )

Dave :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds