BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

new/old jimny, advice on bringing her back to life

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 17:24 #5199 by mkay
iv bought a 2001 jimny auto with 120,000 on the clock.

it runs well, i will be doing some maintanance on it this week;
brake discs and pads, a new radiator and oil changes in the engine, box, tcase and diffs.

are there any seals or gaskets on the axels i should replace?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2010 18:21 #5206 by kirkynut
Yes there are. An oil seal on either end of each axle and wheel bearings on the rear and wheel bearings and kingpins on the front - but if the wheel bearings are fine and there is no leak of diff oil - leave them alone until they need attention as they may well go for a long time before needeing attention depending on use.

I've yet to need to change wheel bearings save a front one due to my own stupidity with the winch. Same for kingpins - just depends what sort of abuse you give them.

I stay out of water as much as I can and deep watery mud - I don;t enjoy cleaning it and I don;t enjoy spending more time maintaining it than I spend driving it - so I avoid the bad stuff basically and have (touch wood) been OK.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds