BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Inclinometer / Land Meter

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2010 16:03 - 15 Oct 2010 16:04 #5163 by Adamski
Inclinometer / Land Meter was created by Adamski
Hi All,

Just though I would share my latest ebay purchase incase anyone was interested in buying one. £20 (inc p&p) didnt seam too bad a price and I think it is the cheapest on ebay.

Click Here to go to the eBay page

Cheers,

Adam
Last edit: 15 Oct 2010 16:04 by Adamski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2010 17:54 #5177 by kirkynut
I would pay more atention to reading the ground ahead of you than looking at that too much Adam - especially whilst it still has a novelty attached to it!

They can be of use but it's no good having a gauge to tell you your rolling as I think you might already know.

The ground is rough and doesn't gradually incline sideways - so you might be fine now but in a foot's time your lower wheel might fall down a hole you didn't see because you were looking at your inclometer and it will quickly read "OH SH*T"!

Use it but be careful not to look at it too much!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2010 20:21 #5181 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Inclinometer / Land Meter

kirkynut wrote: I would pay more atention to reading the ground ahead of you than looking at that too much Adam - especially whilst it still has a novelty attached to it!

They can be of use but it's no good having a gauge to tell you your rolling as I think you might already know.

The ground is rough and doesn't gradually incline sideways - so you might be fine now but in a foot's time your lower wheel might fall down a hole you didn't see because you were looking at your inclometer and it will quickly read "OH SH*T"!

Use it but be careful not to look at it too much!

Kirkynut

Yeah I quite agree, TBH the main reason i got it is because i want to fill my car with dials and gadgets. it will be useful to see how close you are to the manufactures recommended roll limit however i will definatley be keeping one eye on the actual terrain.

More
15 Oct 2010 23:44 #5182 by mcjimny
They're great for scaring passengers but as above its a distraction really, i thought about having one but figured i'd have little time to be checking it.

As for gadgets and gauges, google scanguage. Pricey but its usefull, its on the list of wants for my truck.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 08:15 #5183 by Adamski

mcjimny wrote: They're great for scaring passengers but as above its a distraction really, i thought about having one but figured i'd have little time to be checking it.

As for gadgets and gauges, google scanguage. Pricey but its usefull, its on the list of wants for my truck.

that scangauge looks really good and €149 doesn't seam too bad considering everything it does. does it literally just plug in the engine management port in the car and its ready to go?

something else i want is an outside temperature gauge, has anyone fitted one of these?

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 08:30 #5184 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Re: Inclinometer / Land Meter
You can't fault gadgetry B)

It's a long time since I've been in one but don't Pajeros/Shoguns have a single spherical-type inclonometer that does both pitch and roll built into the dash (which is pretty cool)? A distraction - yes, but still cool B)

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 09:05 #5190 by Adamski

Mick C wrote: You can't fault gadgetry B)

It's a long time since I've been in one but don't Pajeros/Shoguns have a single spherical-type inclonometer that does both pitch and roll built into the dash (which is pretty cool)? A distraction - yes, but still cool B)

yeah i believe a few of the Mitsubishi's have these built in, thats what gave me the idea of getting one.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 10:09 #5191 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: Inclinometer / Land Meter

Attachment P1010001.JPG not found

I have the same one in my truck!!! I bought it for the novelty factor, and also because it looks more like a jimny than a willis jeep you get on the others. I got mine from John Craddocks for 20quid (Green oval supplier :blush:)

Its pretty good for scaring people, as its accuracy isnt great - you can get it upto 20degrees on the tilt angle, just by being a little heavy with the right foot. The fact that its illuminated is another plus - night time angles when viewed from the passenger side and looking at the tiltmeter seem to have people bitting onto the bottom of my seat base.

Use off road though - totally pointless, i dont realy on it, its there to keep my sunglasses on the dash!!! I prefer to use the approach that i was told when doing my LANTRA and NPTC machinery courses - "if you find your arse biting the seat, your close to the limit, most people will naturally chicken out before it goes over, so stop and reconsider your opitions when your arse starts biting":laugh: Its worked for me (so far) ive only had few mishaps
Attachments:

More
16 Oct 2010 10:24 #5192 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re: Inclinometer / Land Meter
what do you think your land inclinometre would have shown on these two :laugh:

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 10:31 #5193 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: Inclinometer / Land Meter
:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
16 Oct 2010 12:38 #5194 by mcjimny

Adamski wrote:

mcjimny wrote: They're great for scaring passengers but as above its a distraction really, i thought about having one but figured i'd have little time to be checking it.

that scangauge looks really good and €149 doesn't seam too bad considering everything it does. does it literally just plug in the engine management port in the car and its ready to go?

something else i want is an outside temperature gauge, has anyone fitted one of these?

AFAIK it just goes straight in the OBD port, wish i'd got one when the euro was worth sweet FA though. I think its good value as you say for what it does.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 15:46 - 16 Oct 2010 15:47 #5195 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Inclinometer / Land Meter

Garry wrote: what do you think your land inclinometre would have shown on these two :laugh:

the same!!! :silly:

mine jimny came with one - never ever looked at it - except once on a roundabout when it said 30 degrees :ohmy:

Last edit: 16 Oct 2010 15:47 by darthloachie.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds