BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

What battery are you using?

More
14 Oct 2010 16:39 #5140 by Garry
I need to upgrade the battery in my jimny to be able to run the front winch i have put on,

What are you lot using?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2010 17:59 #5144 by kirkynut
Numax 1000a cold cranking. I use it as my only battery and have found it absolutely ideal. We went to Slindon a few months ago and winched about 6 times in the day with not a hint of a problem.

Used it about 3 times in a few hours to winch at my local club recently, no problems.

It's ideal for simple recovery. For competitions I'd look at perhaps 2 of them and a second alternator.

You can get about 2 of them for the price of one of the popular winch batteries.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Oct 2010 14:16 #5155 by Garry
Sounds like a plan,

i know nothing about batterys, is there a model number or anything for the size dimensions i need?

i will eventualy get two of them, but the first will br a direct replacment for the standard,

also, will the standard battery terminals fit onto the Numax 1000a ?

sorry for all the quesrions, i just want to get it correct first time.

More
15 Oct 2010 18:06 #5178 by kirkynut
The top one on this page is the kiddie:

www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Leisure-Batteries-S284-1.html

and Tanya are the people the get them from - first class service and delivery times.

As you can see from the dimensions in the spec it will not fit in your normalbattery tray so will need re-locating to the boot and you will need to get some very heavy duty cable to run on top of the chassis, attached by cable ties (I like cable ties) and bring it in via the drain hole in the boot.

You will also need some big terminals and a big crimper to attach them to the wires.

See here:

www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlin...ble/batterycable.php

you want 50mm sq cable and these connectors - the CTT50's:

www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlin...conns/batttermls.php

Place your winch and solenoid in roughly the right place and run string where you are going to route the wire, cut it and measure how much you used. That plus a bit extra is how much wire you need to order.

This solenoid extention kit is really useful too:

www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.asp?actio...ts&catid1=1&catid2=4

but I have heard their isolators aren't up to long winch pulls.

Hope this helps

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Oct 2010 18:29 #5179 by kirkynut
This is the isolator switch I use:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/car-battery-cut-off-switc...&hash=item519096f08d

I got it at a local car parts shop for £5.99 as it was recommended by a good few people in my club who use them and have used the key types and melted them but have not yet melted one of these.

I does not come with any specs on the packaging so I just had to trust my recommendations and so far so good! I ought to carry a spare though in case I do have a problem.

Kirkynut

More
15 Oct 2010 18:44 #5180 by Garry
A huge thanks to you for the links and info,

theres a small problem of me mounting it in the boot :)

ill make a new battery tray on the passenger side of the engine bay,

ive already got a heavy duty isolator switch and the extended solenoid cables,

just need to get it all in and working and make up a loom to have in-cab controls to the winch

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 15:51 #5196 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: What battery are you using?
someone's stolen the back! are you going to make it into a pick up or a tray back?

More
16 Oct 2010 18:17 #5205 by kirkynut

darthloachie wrote: someone's stolen the back! are you going to make it into a pick up or a tray back?

Tray Back! Tray Back! Tray Back! Tray Back! Tray Back! Tray Back!

I realy want to see a Tray back Jimny!

You've got lots of space for lots of batteries then wherever you design them to be!

Kirkynut

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2010 18:28 #5209 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: What battery are you using?
cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXTREME-SUZUKI-JIMNY-OFF-...&hash=item2eb08a2f6f - i wonder what made them get rid of it, just needs a little bit of work

More
16 Oct 2010 22:44 #5212 by Garry
Its turning into a kind of trayback pickup cross,

when i get a pipe bender i will bend up tube and do a proper trayback

More
20 Oct 2010 14:53 #5279 by kirkynut
I think you need to start a build thread! Even if it's just forme to look at - but I think it will get a fair few views!

Kirkynut

More
20 Oct 2010 15:12 #5280 by Garry
i shall try and get one up as soon as i can :)

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds