BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Roof light cable routing......

More
12 Oct 2010 21:31 #5102 by mcjimny
I've got some roof bars and 4 lights on their way. The question is as title, where have others routed the cables??

I was going to have them switched rather than through main beam for simplicity. any thoughts? ie being a pain to switch all 3 off seperately?

Thought about having it as follows though,
switch position 1 - spots
" " 2 main beam + spots (left like this for normal use so all come on when needed on just one switch flick)
Switch position 3 just main beam.

Or just put both sets of roof lights into one switch?

How hard would the above be to achieve for a reasonably capable diyer? If not are auto sparks similiar to mechanics in terms of hourly labour rates?

Questions, questions, questions

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2010 11:29 #5107 by kirkynut
Halfords do a fog/driving lamp wiring kit with a relay in and all the wiring needed. You could get 2 of these and swithch the relays via one switch so that they all come on together and follow the instructions in the pack as it is quite easy.

You then just have to decide where and how to route the cable to it without drilling holes in the roof!

For this you could replace your radio ariel with one of the windscreen mounting types and use the hole from the standard ariel to take your light wiring out of.

Then if you tape the wires for the roof lights to the old ariel cable before you pull it out, they will be pulled through into the right place for it. You could then seal the hole from water with silicone sealant of similar.

Or if you have a roll cage, run them up that.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 Oct 2010 13:24 #5113 by mcjimny
I've seen the wiring kits so reckon thats the way i'll go.

Wondered about routing the wiring into the factory roof bars under the plastic cover, theres obviously holes in the roof already so could drill another and put a grommet in and seal up after, and put the cover back in place of course.

I also thought about leaving the the aerial in place and just cutting enough room in the back to route the wires but i think theres a long run for the wires and doubt i could get them under the rubber in the gutter.

:S

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds