BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

jimny wont start

More
12 Oct 2010 19:17 #5100 by PHIL
jimny wont start was created by PHIL
Hi, I have always had a problem with revs dropping when breaking or using elec windows etc. But I went to start my Jimny the other morning it spluttered then died. The engine will turn over, there is a spark and there is a smell of petrol on the plugs.
The old plugs had a gap of 1.7mm looked like they have been getting hot and have carbon on them. I have changed them but no joy. I wanted to do some checks on the coilpacks etc does anyone have any advice and or ohm levels for healthy sensors coil pack and the like. any advice on what terminals to check would be great. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2010 11:35 #5108 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: jimny wont start
Which engine do you have - I can't remember what the early single cam engines have on them but the newer twin cam engines have a coil pack per cylinder. With this being the case it would run but not on whichever cyclinder the coil pack has gone down on.

If you have the earlier engine and it has a single coil pack for all four cyclinders, I would be suprised if it just wouldn't start, as they are usually two coils split into 2, so it would run on at least 2, possibly 3 cylinders.

As such, in a long winded way I am suggesting it's not the coil pack(s) and maybe a cam shaft sensor as these are a usual suspect but often when they start to break down it is when they are hot and as they cool they work again.

Ideally you need to get a diagnostic reader on it or get it to a garage that you trust and that has the capability of accurately reading what is wrong with it.

I say accurately say what is wrong with it as lots of garages guess and replace components at your expense until they guess right!

Martin is the man in the know on the electronics side though - far more than I, so he may have a more accurate opinion of what is possibly wrong.

Just be aware though that if you disconnect your battery you will lose and trouble codes stored in the ECU!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 Oct 2010 11:55 - 13 Oct 2010 12:00 #5111 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: jimny wont start
The M13AA engines have two coil packs, each serving two cylinders. There is a long list of resistance checks you can do on the coil packs which is probably too long to reproduce here. Hopefully please find the relevant section attached.

Attachment ignition.pdf not found

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Oct 2010 12:00 by mlines.

More
14 Oct 2010 09:22 #5134 by PHIL
Replied by PHIL on topic Re: jimny wont start
Thanks for your help its year 2002 M13A dohc engine. I have changed the plugs leads and battery and it now runs but not very smooth though revs take a nose dive when beaking and engine light came on for a couple of seconds ok on startup gets worse after a min or so. could it be the Lamda?.

More
14 Oct 2010 10:20 - 14 Oct 2010 10:24 #5135 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: jimny wont start
I doubt it would be the Lambda sensor as the system would go into closed loop and work quite happily as such. Mine has done so a few times with a mystery fault and it has not run any differently at all. I'm having a new cat fitted at the minute as it has just failed it's MOT on it and I think this will solve my problem.

You have a coil pack per 2 cylinders on that engine then.

Does it run on all 4 but not smoothly or is it not smooth because it's running on less than 4?

I would be leaning towards it being a sensor of some type - possibly a MAP sensor or similar. Doesn't sound like the usual cam sensor fault but I'm guessing.

You need to get a diagnostic done really.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 10:24 by kirkynut. Reason: correction

More
15 Oct 2010 15:57 #5161 by PHIL
Replied by PHIL on topic Re: jimny wont start
Yeah thats right 2 plugs per coil. I think it seams to be running smoother now there was prob a lot of carbon and the like on the valves by the look of the plugs I've put some super unleaded in hope it cleans the head up a bit:whistle: . Its still not 100% but I'm a bit of a nit picker. Thanks for your help and the PDF was a great help good for future problems also. I'll try and save up some cash to take it in for a bit of a diagnostic inspection.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds