BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help! Demister Switch / Wiring...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
29 Mar 2013 14:07 #67224 by X8GGY
Hi All...

My shop is quite quiet today, one of the girls are on the till, so I figured I'd fit the demister switch that TOPF kindly sent me recently... I have a soft-top with the rear section of the hardtop fitted - www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/jimny-hardtop/blog_193.html

I emailed me mate Brett (Maverick on here) and he sent me photos of his dashboard, as I wasn't sure which side of the dash' the switch went... his is on the left below the hazards switch, I have a blanking plate on both sides, so wasn't 100% sure, and couldn't see a plug for the switch either...

Now, I've taken the whole of the radio / clock / ashtray section out to get behind where the switch is going to go, and there's no sign of a plug that will fit, apart from a small plug which does fit into the back of the switch, but only goes on 2 of the 5 pins, so that can't be right... can it?

So, questions...

Anyone out there got a soft-top with a hard-top and done this? And found the plug?

Anyone know if my plug should be on the left or right of the steering wheel?

Anyone know if this two-pin plug is right? The indicator light on the switch doesn't come on when the switch is pressed?

Anyone willing to pop their switch out and have a look behind? or know what I should be able to find?...

LOL... basically... all HELP appreciated...

Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2013 15:38 #67235 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Help! Demister Switch / Wiring...
Only help I can give at present is on my 2003 H/top it's on the left below the hazards switch hth ........... ;)

• DVs-Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2013 16:16 #67240 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Help! Demister Switch / Wiring...
Hi Dave, it looks like the switch does only have two wires - see attached
Attachments:

• DVs-Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2013 16:28 #67246 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Help! Demister Switch / Wiring...
Wiring diagram - hope it helps
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
29 Mar 2013 16:34 #67248 by X8GGY
Super, thanks guys... especially DV!

Thought it was weird that it appeared to fit well, but only had two wires of a possible five pins in the switch? Suppose it could be a common switch used in various Suzuki models...?

Right, I'll go and rebuild my dash...

I suppose the light not coming on suggests a continuity error? Will check the back window demister contacts, and see if a fuse needs adding too? LOL :whistle:

Thanks again!

Dave

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2013 16:49 #67250 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Help! Demister Switch / Wiring...
I found this diagram for the rear window defogger. It shows all 5 pins;

My guess would be that IL and ILE are for the illumination of the switch (so it lights up with the lights on), and the the other three pins are for connecting the window to a supply and another pin so the orange warning light lights up. The switch in DVs-Jimny's post has three pins, making do without the illumination pins (so the switch won't light up with the lights on). If your plug only has two connectors then either it will work but not light up the orange warning light, or it's for something else!

More
29 Mar 2013 17:37 #67259 by supergaz
If I remember correctly when fitting factory fogs to my GV, I had to fit an earth under the dash for the dash illumination for the switch.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds