BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gear Oils

• adamatdraycott
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2013 15:06 - 22 Mar 2013 14:13 #66293 by adamatdraycott
Gear Oils was created by adamatdraycott
I am looking to service the Jimny in the next few weeks... diffs, gearbox and the usual engine with filter.

The last gearbox and diff service i did i bought the oil from a local agricultural stores, who sell Morris Lubricants.

I bought: 75w-90 API GL 1-5 & 80W-90 API GL 5

However i have just searched the web for the 75W-90 and found this:
www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/lodexol...thetic-gear-oil.html

This clearly states it covers all API GL ratings between 1 & 5, and it can also replace 80w90 gear oils.

This could prevent a lot of confusion
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 14:13 by adamatdraycott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2013 08:33 #66520 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Gear Oils
I think this has been answered elsewhere but I would stick to buying GL4 for the gearbox and GL5 for everything else or it could lead to a new gearbox where metal bushings are worn away by stuff in the oil.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• adamatdraycott
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2013 12:26 #66537 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Gear Oils
An email response from the manufacturer

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your recent enquiry.

GL grades are made as follows: -

GL-1 - Mineral oil only - Obsolete
GL-2 - Mineral oil with added lubricity - rarely used
GL-3 - Mild Anti wear
GL-4 - Sulphur Phosphorus
GL-5 - Sulphur Phosphorus
GL-6 - Sulphur Phosphorous - Obsolete

Products such as Lodexol SS 75W-90 or Lodexol FS 75W-90 contain an intelligent additive system which is highly stabilised and therefore can cover a multitude of specifications rather than limited to full blown GL-5/6. Most GL-4 packages in the market place are lower treat rate GL-5 packages and therefore could still affect yellow metals.

Regards,

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds