BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tick tick noise when driving along... From drivers side

More
13 Mar 2013 20:18 #65575 by minibbb
I've noticed when driving at low speeds both under power and coasting a tick tick noise coming from the wheel area on the drivers side. It almost sounds like a stone in the tyre when I've checked and they're fine. Any ideas what it could be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2013 21:17 #65587 by facade
A nail in the tread most likely.

Check all the tyres. I spent ages looking for one in the rear tyre as that was where the ticking sound was definitely coming from, and I eventually found it in the front.

Could be a damaged bearing or disc, or something inside the brake drum, but I'd inspect all the tyres very carefully first.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
13 Mar 2013 21:42 #65590 by minibbb
Thanks for the reply mate. I had the noise with my old set of wheels and I'm 99% sure its not a screw/stone in the tread but ill double check to be sure, be a cheaper solution mind you!

More
04 May 2013 09:02 #69964 by Mr. F
Don't know if you're still experiencing this but I thought I'd answer anyway...

I had exactly the same problem when I bought a new Honda CRV a few years ago (don't have it now) and it took 3 visits to the dealer to find out what it was.

Basically, the little weights that they put on for balancing the wheels were loose and as you drove along they started to make a ticking noise!

More
04 May 2013 13:17 #69982 by j999pre
I had it in my first jimny, the pads had been changed but the shims weren't replaced so the pads were rattling. Disappeared when I put my foot on the brakes as the pressure held them in place.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Sprocket
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 16:48 #69988 by Sprocket
Hi

My wife had a similar noise on her Octavia. I eventually found a small stone trapped in the front brake caliper. Polished to a mirror finish on side against the disk.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds