BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Camshaft Position Sensor

• jonnz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2013 10:15 - 08 Mar 2013 07:09 #64838 by jonnz
Camshaft Position Sensor was created by jonnz
Have had a 1998 Jimny for the last 3 months, absolutely love it, however occasionally when driving it loses all power for a couple of seconds.

Looking round this forum and others I was wondering if it is the Camshaft Position Sensor stuffing out so am looking at replacing it. On a post here saw couple of links to Camshaft Position Sensor for sale, one at Livingstones for around £37.00, one at euro4x4parts for £64.90. Im in New Zealand so Im looking at a cost of between $67.00 to $115.00 NZD plus postage and handling if i get one from either of these places.

On the euro4x4partsi noticed it says "MPA1001 equivalent to 3322050G02" so went here to Ebay and found one for £12.54, NZD $22.70, including postage, just wondering if someone more experienced than me knows if it looks like the real thing or has bought one previously and whether it was ok.

thanks jonnz
Last edit: 08 Mar 2013 07:09 by jonnz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2013 11:17 #64841 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Camshaft Position Sensor
i got one from ebay cheap and it looks exactly the same and works a treat....no problems so far and had 16 months of use daily so far

• AdrianS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2013 09:51 #65529 by AdrianS
Replied by AdrianS on topic Camshaft Position Sensor
Hello,

I think I have the same problems - my Jimny is behaving strangely after being under load for a while. In time, this has gotten worse.
I must drive not more than 70km/h on motorway, and even then I have to pull off the road every 10 minutes or so. When that happens, rev meter goes all over the place, and if I try to accelerate it gets worse, and engine just stops by itself.
A workaround I found accidentally is to pull right (i.e. left in UK) and stop engine for 20 seconds or so - no braking, then, still moving, restart engine and pull back in traffic. Longer breaks help. It is worse in the summer or heavy city traffic, better in the cold season.
After changing ignition parts, one by one - now that I think about, I changed all ignition system - I think it's one or both of the sensors.
I quickly purchased the cam sensor at a local shop. Unfortunately it didn't fit... more on that later.
I've got both sensors at a local wreck-yard. I installed them the upper one, but I quickly realized it's toast, worse than my original, so I'll return them. This makes me think that is the sensor - or sensors - I'll change both anyway.

Problem is... I don't know what to buy, except the freakin' expensive Suzuki original parts. I was quoted ~£80 for each. There must be a cheaper option... right?

From Suzuki EPC software, part numbers for my hardtop 2001 Jimny JLX model (M13A engine) are:
  • camshaft position (angle) sensor: 33220-76G11
  • crankshaft position (angle) sensor: 33220-80G00

I had initially purchased a Quinton-Hazell XREV298 camshaft sensor, which I've since returned. I searched the Internet left and right, there are maybe 10 manufacturers making such sensors for the Jimny, but from the pictures, they are just like the XREV298, i.e. the electrical connector just doesn't fit. The ONLY one which fits is ADK87207 by Blue Print. In my city, they charge it like for an original (maybe it IS the original?).
As for the crankshaft sensor, there are 2-3 models (from 2-3 manufacturers) which look ok in the pictures, but then, I've seen websites with wrong pictures (e.g. the XREV298 was shown with the real connector, but in reality that wasn't the case).

This is how the old sensor looks like:

This is how other sensors look like:

So, I don't know which parts to buy... Does anyone know some aftermarket parts which fit for sure in Jimny? They must have a connector like in the first photo, with the red arrows...

Thanks,
Adrian
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2013 10:03 #65530 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Camshaft Position Sensor
The other sensor looks like a g13bb one.

Use cold water to cool a sensor and see if your problem goes away. If so you will know which to change.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
13 Mar 2013 15:46 #65546 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic Camshaft Position Sensor
Hello.

I believe they are two completely different problems: :)

1)

AdrianS wrote: ……………………………………I must drive not more than 70km/h on motorway, and even then I have to pull off the road every 10 minutes or so. When that happens, rev meter goes all over the place, and if I try to accelerate it gets worse, and engine just stops by itself.

A workaround I found accidentally is to pull right (i.e. left in UK) and stop engine for 20 seconds or so - no braking, then, still moving, restart engine and pull back in traffic. Longer breaks help. It is worse in the summer or heavy city traffic, better in the cold season.

In this case it seems to be the Camshaft Position Sensor damaged. :(

2) But the following problem is completely different. :dry:

jonnz wrote: Have had a 1998 Jimny for the last 3 months, absolutely love it, however occasionally when driving it loses all power for a couple of seconds……………………

Two local jimnys this problem occurred because the EGR valve damaged

In both cases the problem was solved obturating EGR valve

Method 1. Easy..

replace the seal tube with an blind gasket

In the end of tube, (blue oval) is located the gasket

Method 2. more complex

Sealing the hole of the cylinder head where the exhaust gases flow.

The cylinder head without exhaust manifold

Aluminium plug homemade

Flare the hole

Insert the plug

To cancel the damaged EGR prevents the intake manifold is full of waste gases and accelerate the engine to lose power until they are cleared waste gases

Recomendations of service

I believe it will be useful

Gustavo

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC

• jonnz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2013 09:20 #65622 by jonnz
Replied by jonnz on topic Camshaft Position Sensor
Gus2000, thanks for the info and your suggestion, I have not replaced my camshaft sensor yet so will first test that as per the service manual, just because it easier to get at. If that, as you suspect, is ok then I will take a look at the EGR valve.

The pictures that you put up are they of the EGR valve location on a G13b engine in situ in a Jimny, or are they of a G13b installed east to west in some other model. Mine looks like a difficult f__ker to get at compared to the room that looks available in those pics.

AdrianS, someone is making alot of $$$ on parts that appear to cost very little to manufacture and as adamjimny said "look ... exactly the same and work ... a treat", I'm glad my old jimny only has the one.

• AdrianS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2013 14:33 #65653 by AdrianS
Thank you everyone.

However, I still don't know which parts to buy to solve my problem :(.
Does anyone have a 2001-2004 Jimny (M13A, pre-VVT) and knows the part numbers from aftermarket suppliers? Perhaps even the M13A VVT engine has the same sensors...

Someone? Anyone?
Adrian

• AdrianS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2013 17:08 #66908 by AdrianS
Hello,

In the end I bought genuine Suzuki sensors. In UK currency, they cost about ~£80 each.
First I replaced the upper one (camshaft), unfortunately, it didn't help a bit.
However, I then changed the lower one, at the crankshaft. That was a bit of work and some curse words, because of the awkward position, and some stubborn (stuck) nuts at the alternator. This time the car ran flawlessly on the motorway and on steep slopes. :laugh:
So I'm all good now.
Well, except that gearbox has to be taken out, replaced or repaired, and some other problems the car has.
But the sensors created the most annoying driving experience, and I'm glad that is now behind...

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2013 20:13 #66950 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Camshaft Position Sensor
Pleased to hear you are making some progress ............................. ;)

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds