BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

ignition Key

More
28 Feb 2013 09:05 #64182 by cos124
ignition Key was created by cos124
It may have been covered on a previous post, but the search did not show anything. I need a spare key. Is this a Dealer job, i.e are the keys coded for immobiliser or can i cut one at the nearest key cutting shop?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2013 12:27 #64187 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic ignition Key
Has been covered before:

But:

Option 1: You can get a key cut and coded at most Key cutters, but only a few can code for the imob.
Timpsons charge about £50 for a coded key.

Option 2: Dealers charge £100 ish

Option 3: You can tape your already coded key inside the steering wheel cowl and use a normal (un-coded) key.
You may find your insurance is void, as you effectively have no imob

Easiest way is to just pay the dealer

More
28 Feb 2013 13:26 #64189 by cos124
Replied by cos124 on topic ignition Key
thank you. That covers it nicely

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2013 14:02 #64191 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic ignition Key
I bought a spare key from these guys ebay item 190776952430
As it wasn't to far away I drove up to the place of work & they did the job while I waited total I think about £60 hth ............. ;)

More
28 Feb 2013 17:03 #64199 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic ignition Key
My local tescos have a timpsons, they often have half price offers on, cost me £30 odd quid and its spot on.

More
28 Feb 2013 21:31 #64231 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic ignition Key

Tadpole wrote: I bought a spare key from these guys ebay item 190776952430
As it wasn't to far away I drove up to the place of work & they did the job while I waited total I think about £60 hth ............. ;)

I've dealt with them in the past - they do know what they are talking about. Timpsons are usually cheaper though you need to shop around as the prices vary from branch to branch.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2013 23:27 #64257 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic ignition Key
i went to timpsons few months ago to get a key for a jimny they checked it & said they could not do the chip at that branch but could at meadowhall so i asked how much & was told it will be over £100 so i told him where to go :laugh:

More
01 Mar 2013 20:34 #64311 by Rhinoman
If you can't get a better deal than that then PM me as I can probably sort you out with something cheaper.

More
01 Mar 2013 21:16 #64314 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic ignition Key
My codes Timpson's key was £18 for my jimny :)

More
03 Mar 2013 09:30 #64416 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic ignition Key
We don't have Timpson's round our way - never heard of them before this forum - are they a northern company??? I'm in deepest darkest Southend-on-Sea (mud).

I used a local locksmith back in 2008 and he did me one for £50 back then - I'm sure it's cheaper now - but then petrol was less than a pound so maybe not!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2013 09:40 #64420 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic ignition Key
There are to types of keys there are( what iv been told) a left and right key and 2 different types of chips i got a key of ebay and a garage used a chip he copy timpsons said thay couldnt do it

More
03 Mar 2013 11:41 - 03 Mar 2013 11:43 #64436 by Rhinoman
I have never heard of the left/right key before, I would have thought thats just a case of getting the right blank. There are two types of chips, the Texas 4C is the chip that seems to be most common, did they say what the other chip was? Timpsons in Cirencester told me that they could do both but one was £50 and one was £100, he had no idea about chip types - "I just put it in the machine and follow the instructions"
When I spoke to the guys in Middlesex they told me that if it wasn't the 4C then the memory chips would need to be removed and reprogrammed to suit the new key, but I've no idea why that would be necessary if the correct programming tools were available.
I've been playing around with the immo recently and I have been able to come up with a method of key matching the early immos without needing access to the Suzuki Service Portal, it does still need a Tech2, SDT or a locksmiths tool (fortunately I have all three) though as well as one of my tools, not very practical but a step forward!

Last edit: 03 Mar 2013 11:43 by Rhinoman.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds