BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Inactive Jimny

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 00:28 #56311 by Northern-Wanderer
Inactive Jimny was created by Northern-Wanderer
I broke my kneecap 3weeks ago and i am going to be inactive for another 4weeks at least and was wondering if my Jimny will be ok just standing in my garage or should i get a mate to start it every so often,and if so,for how long should i leave it running.Also if it is best to run it,should it be left on tickover or revved a bit.Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Northern Wanderer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 00:35 #56313 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Inactive Jimny
Iv just come to mine after 7 months and just needed charging up but everything else was perfect so should be fine mate

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

More
27 Dec 2012 00:54 #56314 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Inactive Jimny
As above, mine flattens the battery completely in a fortnight or so.
Best to charge it every 2 weeks
Starting it and not driving it does more harm than good.
As long as it isn't wet, and doesn't have wet mud stuck underneath it will be ok.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Northern-Wanderer

More
30 Dec 2012 16:55 #56598 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Inactive Jimny
I would try to get a decent battery charger that can act as a battery manager also, adding a trickle of charge as and when needed to keep it toped up. Batteries do not like being flattened and then charged due to their construction. The battery is the only real thing i would worry about unless it's been put away wet, as had been said above. If so, leave it out on a dry day for it to dry before it get's put back in the garage.

I appreciate it's easier said than done when you have a broken knee cap but that's what I would do if possible.

I hope it mends ok for you mate. I snapped an ACL a few years ago and it wasn't the operation and pain that did it for me, it was the inactivity and the poxy hard work at physio after. Snapping an ACL is not in the same league as breaking a knee cap either!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Northern-Wanderer

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2012 22:14 #56640 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Inactive Jimny
Idealy clean the living shit out of the thing and then remove the battery... This is what i do with my motorbike over the winter months

Just connect batt back up turn on key and fire her up!

Some say putting a full tank of fuel in can help due to the lack of condensation build up or what ever... Never harmed me...

More
30 Dec 2012 23:47 #56647 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Inactive Jimny
Fuel goes stale and now there is more bio ethanol in it to eat away at rubber seals I would leave it empty. It's a pressurised system so no condensation can get in. You should hear it hiss as air escapes when you open the filler up.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds