BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Difficulty engaging first gear.

• wanderinstar
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 02:57 #56163 by wanderinstar
Difficulty engaging first gear. was created by wanderinstar
As i will be fitting a new clutch soon, I was wanting a bit of advise. I have difficulty engaging first gear/ If I slow right down and apply firm pressure to the gear lever it will then engage. When the garage takes the box out to do clutch he says I can take box away to try and sort 1st gear problem out. Would this just be a case of fitting a new syncro ring or would other parts be involved??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2012 09:40 #56164 by facade
They all do that Sir! B)

Some people report success with these new fangled fully synthetic gear oils developed especially to help Japanese gearboxes go into 1st.

I don't think that you will find anything wrong inside the gearbox.

If you want to throw money at it, new bearings, synchros and reshimming the gear clusters to spec might help.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• wanderinstar
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 11:02 #56167 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Difficulty engaging first gear.
No not all. I test drove one , while looking for one and first was perfect. As good as the other 4 gears. Whether it had had a new box fitted I dont knowHope you are not pulling my leg about synthetic gear oils. If not do you have any makes?

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 11:08 #56168 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Difficulty engaging first gear.
Mine dosnt like 1st on the move as well... Anything speed about 10 mph its stubborn to go into 1st

I would only worry about it if you have difficulty getting into 1st while stationary

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 12:38 #56169 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Difficulty engaging first gear.
Mine does this sometimes even when stationary. A couple of waggles and dips of the clutch sorts it out. I wouldnt worry about it.

More
25 Dec 2012 15:30 #56173 by kirkynut
I'm on my second Jimny - should never have sold the first but it was in the early days of Jimny's being modified!

Anyway, both have disliked first gear unless stopped. So I doubt you'll find anything wrong or make a difference.

I've had a new clutch a few years ago with no difference. Once in a while it doesn't like first when stopped either but I have found most cars to do that every now and then from all makes. So again, nothing wrong, just one of those things.

You learn to not go to first until stopped, which I seem to remember being taught to do all those years ago, before bad habits began as I drove out the test centre with the new found ability to know everything and be a rally driver just like all 17 year old young men in that situation!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 16:44 #56179 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic Difficulty engaging first gear.
mine is a right pain to get in 1st haha, it's character

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 16:46 #56180 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Difficulty engaging first gear.

iloveics wrote: mine is a right pain to get in 1st haha, it's character

I love they way character=5hit!

• J-Bro
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Dec 2012 21:09 #56199 by J-Bro
Replied by J-Bro on topic Difficulty engaging first gear.
I have trouble when it's cold getting into 1st gear. If it refuses bump into 2nd!

I had say problem thinking gear box was buggered but after finding out on here we are all in it together ha

More
25 Dec 2012 21:50 - 25 Dec 2012 21:52 #56205 by facade

wanderinstar wrote: Hope you are not pulling my leg about synthetic gear oils. If not do you have any makes?

No, if it is worse when cold the synthetics work a treat

You can try

Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W-90
CASTROL SYNTRANS MULTIVEHICLE 75W-90 (as recommended at suzuki4u )

or the boys at Difflock do

Difflock Evolution 2 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

Your local motor factor will no doubt have an equivalent fluid made by comma or someone.

Try googling
"difficulty engaging 1st gear"

around 85,000 hits.....

You (and the rest of us) may have wear in the gearbox or selectors, or even the linkage may be loose. Possibly worth messing if you know exactly what you are doing, I'd leave it alone if it isn't noisy.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 25 Dec 2012 21:52 by facade.

More
26 Dec 2012 07:24 #56233 by supergaz
I have a spare good linkage if you want to try that Ian.

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 22:48 #56305 by jimny5
Replied by jimny5 on topic Difficulty engaging first gear.
My gear linkage used to freeze up. Could not move gearselector at all.
I removed gaiter and gear stick. Cleaned out- full of mud n water.
Packed with grease.
Works a treat now.
Does your gear stick move or is it more in box. Can u feel it if you dont press clutch.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds