BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

winding up difffs with difernt tires sizes info?

• thesmi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 12:02 #54635 by thesmi
i want to buy 2 mud terrain tires to fit onto my jimny both to go on the rear! and the front will be normal tires ie road tires standard size

what i want to know would this wind up diff or transfer box when driving or must all 4 tires be exact same size any experience apreciated

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2012 12:46 #54638 by facade
On the road, you are in 2wd, so it won't matter, except there will be loads more grip at the front than the rear, this will make it even more tail happy than it is now :ohmy:

Be careful in the wet ;)

Off road, on soft ground there will be enough slip at the tyre to cope.
You may have difficulty getting it out of 4wd though.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 13:22 #54640 by reaper
In 4wd it will come over all japnese. The rear will be turning faster than the front causing it to drift. A lot of the 4wd drift cars use this method of firting different ratio diffs,

• thesmi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 14:01 #54643 by thesmi
ok so bit of a no no then ,
its a bit way too tail happy it is , i work down some country lanes and they are crazy as it is, i think i shall just buy 4 cheap all terrain the kingpins

More
02 Dec 2012 18:37 - 02 Dec 2012 18:39 #54675 by dirtydogz
It's always best not to mix tyres on a 4x4.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 02 Dec 2012 18:39 by dirtydogz.

• thesmi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 19:19 #54684 by thesmi
I KNOW it winds up landy diffs but thought maybe differesnt on a zook

More
02 Dec 2012 20:02 #54689 by facade
Wind up happens when there is no centre diff, the driveshafts literally wind up like liquorice sticks.

What happens on a Landrover is the feeble centre diff is not designed to act as a differential, and it wears out if the tyre sizes are vastly different.
(On a freelander there is no diff, the viscous unit simply seizes up if you try to make it slip)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds