BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Castor correction.... Help/advise??

More
15 Nov 2012 18:44 #53344 by facade
You won't get the old bushes out and in the new arms in good condition.
What you need is a polybush kit, these go in with your fingers.
Stand car on level surface, handbrake on.
Work on one side at a time.
Undo the nuts on the 3 large bolts. (This is V difficult, as suzuki put the nuts on the inside. Undoing the bolts is even more so. There isn't enough room to use the Landrover trick of a 12foot scaffold pole over the end of the breaker bar) tap the bolts out, and the arm will drop down.
Replace the arm. You may need to chock the front wheel each side, and release the handbrake, then rock the car to get the last bolt to line up. Some folks use one of those ratchet straps to pull the axle.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ferreter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ferreter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2012 20:58 #53374 by ferreter
Replied by ferreter on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??

facade wrote: You won't get the old bushes out and in the new arms in good condition.
What you need is a polybush kit, these go in with your fingers.
Stand car on level surface, handbrake on.
Work on one side at a time.
Undo the nuts on the 3 large bolts. (This is V difficult, as suzuki put the nuts on the inside. Undoing the bolts is even more so) tap the bolts out, and the arm will drop down.
Replace the arm. You may need to chock the front wheel each side, and release the handbrake, then rock the car to get the last bolt to line up. Some folks use one of those ratchet straps to pull the axle.

thank you, very helpful. thats a shame, i will try and see if i can get them out in resonable condition, of not look like another 80 odd quid on a polybush kit!

More
15 Nov 2012 21:19 #53382 by dirtydogz
Just save up the money and buy them later, using old bushes is false economy and if you can't get them out in one piece then your jimny won't be going anywhere. :pinch:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

• ferreter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2012 21:39 #53390 by ferreter

dirtydogz wrote: Just save up the money and buy them later, using old bushes is false economy and if you can't get them out in one piece then your jimny won't be going anywhere. :pinch:

ookay, will do that. dammit, im annoyed with myself now! should of asked this before i ordered! thank you everyone for you help

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2012 08:18 #53422 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??
sure, i used old bushes to put them in jimnybits radius arms:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

;)

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2012 12:20 #53426 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: Castor correction.... Help/advise??
I've got those arms, got them with the bushes in though. They work great with my 3" lift, anti roll bar not needed.

• Three glasses
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2012 16:18 - 25 Nov 2012 16:20 #54140 by Three glasses
Replied by Three glasses on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??
The easiest and cheapest way to correct Your castor, bro, is to order the ex-centric polyurethane bushes or silent-blocks (as we call them in Russian) for both front arms. All tohether You need 4 pcs, 500 RUR each (about 20 $)/
Just go to www.polyurethane.ru and find Jimny's ones. Contact them, they understand English. Shipment to UK will cost You some 10-20 poinds, no more.

All Russian Jimny lifters use this optimal way. I'm driving mine for the last 50 t.km - still alive. The car rides 35" TSL Boggers, used for trophy only.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2012 16:20 by Three glasses.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2012 16:32 #54142 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??
Bushes are only ok up to 2" lift ,more than that and the full arm is needed

• Three glasses
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2012 17:37 - 25 Nov 2012 17:45 #54146 by Three glasses
Replied by Three glasses on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??
:laugh: Please don't tell this good joke to any Russian - there are THOUSANDS of crazy Russians which use excentrics for lifts up to 4"...

E.g. mine is 85 mm and the car is still self-steering. :) And in any case it's easier and simplier to blow off the axle bracket by plasma or just cut it by wheel and to weld it back with 2-3 deg. angle.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2012 17:45 by Three glasses.

• ferreter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2012 10:58 #54195 by ferreter
really dont know what i was worrying about... it was a piece of piddle. in the end i got the arms and got some bushes from my local. superb, works a treat it now drives somewhere near where i point it at! the rear end is a bit frisky but i can deal with that now. looking like i will have to trim the bumper up to stop my tyres catching on it.... or does anyone know if you can fit some sort of spacer to clear the bumper from the wheels??

cheers

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2012 20:10 - 27 Nov 2012 20:11 #54319 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??
""
Just go to www.polyurethane.ru and find Jimny's ones. Contact them, they understand English. Shipment to UK will cost You some 10-20 poinds, no more."""

it is written in Russian! i don't understant nothing :blink: :silly: :pinch: ;)
Last edit: 27 Nov 2012 20:11 by renard38.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2012 15:51 #54357 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Castor correction.... Help/advise??

renard38 wrote: ""
Just go to www.polyurethane.ru and find Jimny's ones. Contact them, they understand English. Shipment to UK will cost You some 10-20 poinds, no more."""

it is written in Russian! i don't understant nothing :blink: :silly: :pinch: ;)

Found by luck more than Russian language skills. Search jimny in the top left of the page, i did have a link but couldn't post it as BJ thought it was spam.

Mark

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds