BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Body Lift - De-Brief

More
19 Sep 2010 20:35 #4738 by ooky_123
Well, what a ball ache ....
SPent a total of 11 hours on the body lift, and finally managed to get it fitted.

Firstly, Dave Bits 4 Vits's Body Lift is superbly manufactured and the theory behind the lift is relativly easy ... However, to undo the 8x body bolts off a 10 yr old jimny needed almost a whole can of WD40 and localised heating to remove the bolts, the near side was the easiest as you could get a jack between teh front chassis rail and the body, and lift from there. but the off side was a right pain .

After jacking to the point of splitting a body seam, I realised that one of my helpers had left a bolt in ... Doh !!!

anyway, all 8 blocks fitted, and we couldnt fit the rubbers and the bolts.. some body blocks just didnt want to lign up.
Finally though, we managed it, and refitted the bumpers etc with ease.

The Steering wasnt as difficult as I thought, simply soak the bottom of the shaft with WD40, slacken the bolt off, and the splined shaft simply moved about 1/4 inch. Onec all was finished, we simply re-tightened the bolt on the shaft .. Job Done.

Other observations were the vacuum pipes between the body and the chassis pulled out, and the bracket that holds the brake pipes, below the servo was pulled from the bulkhead (No fluid leak)

Finally, I thing I cannot get into 4Low as the TX and gear stick are now shorter.

Need to employ a welder to lengthen them

The side steps will no longer fit, so now Were thinking of some nice 2 1/2 thick scaffold tubes fabricated as rock sliders.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2010 22:34 #4740 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Body Lift - De-Brief
Our rock sliders have been used many times over now and are probably the best bit of protection we could have added. They are the tickness of the tube plus a few mm below the plastic covers on the sills, so might reduce the ramp breakover angle a little but the vehicle has been beached on them so many times without them being damaged it is unreal - it would have been the sills if they were not there!

They have also been dropped onto rocks where the size of rocks my Mrs has driven over in the Lakes has been larger than the distance from the ground to the sills!They remain straight still though!

I heartily recomment getting some fitted!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Sep 2010 06:58 #4743 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Body Lift - De-Brief
Really !!... Thats good to know.
Not too worried about the ramp over angle, the jimny is that small, its never really an issue.

are you manufacturing those rock sliders ? any pictures ?

More
20 Sep 2010 13:10 #4746 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Body Lift - De-Brief
ooky_123 wrote:

Really !!... Thats good to know.
Not too worried about the ramp over angle, the jimny is that small, its never really an issue.

are you manufacturing those rock sliders ? any pictures ?

I wish I could manufacture them but alas I don't have the ability to weld or bend tube - I had them done by a chap in my Club who is the club's resident fabricator of all things off road.

I think there are some piccies of my sliders in the photo's section of this site.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Sep 2010 13:17 #4748 by ooky_123
I would be interested in seeing how they attach to the chassis rails ... Ive been giving it some thought and have a few ideas.
There were some pictures of Brian.smc's I believes sliders, but I cannot find them.

Im thinking of Hiring a pipe bender and a welder to make my own

More
18 Oct 2010 07:23 #5232 by ooky_123
Still on the search for metalwork, but I managed to get the tx lever out to inspect it as it needs to be modified to select 4Low since the body lift went on ...
I see there is a large conical shape on the lever ... just wondering if I should simply bend or grind off the rear edge.

More
21 Oct 2010 17:00 #5284 by ooky_123
Fixed it !!!..
cut a slot in the body to accomodate the tx lever. I now get 4Low .. just have to fabricate a new a-pannel / gator for the lever now.

Job done !!!

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds