BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

33s Rubbing

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2012 17:47 #51345 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic 33s Rubbing
Not sure what you will need to do Dan for running 30's. If it was me I would stick with the 3'' lift as I wouldn't think there's much difference in the handling between 2'' and 3'' lifts.

If you look at the previous threads in the search facility you should find that there is plenty of info where people have similar setups.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2012 09:29 #51661 by jimjim4x4
Replied by jimjim4x4 on topic 33s Rubbing
Hi. I've been reading with interest about your clearance problems which now look to be resolved. I think clearance is just one of your minor problems. If you do some " serious offroading " and you are running aggressive 33's with just standard transmission components, you're in for a lot of breakages. The Cv's are notorious for shattering. The half shafts twist the splines off the ends, both front and rear. The center " nut " in the diff ( That locates the 4 pinions ) snaps and the diff destroys itself. The axle casings can bend and even twist ! The props can twist and break. Transfer boxes break. If you use an SJ type, especially with Rock Lobster gears, the casing cracks and breaks..... and so it goes on.
My Jimny now has no lift and I only run 235 tyres with heavily modified wheel arches and bulkhead.
Don't let me put you off and I wish you the best of luck ! :P

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2012 12:33 #51664 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic 33s Rubbing

jimjim4x4 wrote: Hi. I've been reading with interest about your clearance problems which now look to be resolved. I think clearance is just one of your minor problems. If you do some " serious offroading " and you are running aggressive 33's with just standard transmission components, you're in for a lot of breakages. The Cv's are notorious for shattering. The half shafts twist the splines off the ends, both front and rear. The center " nut " in the diff ( That locates the 4 pinions ) snaps and the diff destroys itself. The axle casings can bend and even twist ! The props can twist and break. Transfer boxes break. If you use an SJ type, especially with Rock Lobster gears, the casing cracks and breaks..... and so it goes on.
My Jimny now has no lift and I only run 235 tyres with heavily modified wheel arches and bulkhead.
Don't let me put you off and I wish you the best of luck ! :P

Your right, as there is more than enough evidence to support your list of breakages.

However I will say that so far I have attended; Holymoorside x 2, Frickley, Black Hills x3, Padley Wood and Kirton with an SJ transfer on 33's using standard axles etc with so far no breakages.

I guess it all depends on how you drive and whether you need to drive it home after!! Mine is not trailered so I don't go and hit anything I've not seen someone else do, or have not got out the car and assessed the obstacle first.

If you drive without a care in the world, standard gear is just not going to cut the mustard as you say.

But I must admit I am starting to buy spares 'just in case' :laugh: :P

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2012 19:56 #51691 by Smoggy

jimjim4x4 wrote: Hi. I've been reading with interest about your clearance problems which now look to be resolved. I think clearance is just one of your minor problems. If you do some " serious offroading " and you are running aggressive 33's with just standard transmission components, you're in for a lot of breakages. The Cv's are notorious for shattering. The half shafts twist the splines off the ends, both front and rear. The center " nut " in the diff ( That locates the 4 pinions ) snaps and the diff destroys itself. The axle casings can bend and even twist ! The props can twist and break. Transfer boxes break. If you use an SJ type, especially with Rock Lobster gears, the casing cracks and breaks..... and so it goes on.

Should be okay, my shafts and cvs are chromoly 4340 and diffs are ARB locking devices. Rocklobster is secured with HD mounts and im seriously considering investing in one of Mr Redacted s bucket guard mounts.

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2012 22:08 #51725 by jimny5
Replied by jimny5 on topic 33s Rubbing

Smoggy wrote:

Its all driveing style. When i started i snapped half shafts and diffs all because i was trying to hard and thinking speed was the answer.
Fit lobster box and adjust tyres pressure and what a surprise no breakages !!!! I even get places now that i wouldnt get before.
All on 33in tyres in sjs and jimnys.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 17:27 #51774 by Smoggy
Yeah the locking diffs help with the not having to go fast issue too :)

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds