BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Heated wing mirror help?

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 11:51 #48665 by phippj1
Heated wing mirror help? was created by phippj1
HI All,

I have bought my first jimny which so far im very pleased with. Its an 02 jimny with the 1328cc engine. My question is I currently have electric wing mirrors but with no heaters in them, is it possible to do a conversion to heated mirros? Can I get a replacement set of wingmirrors that are heated and fit them, will I need to wire them in my self or is the wiring harness all the same and will just plug in and work? Has any one else done this? Any help or advice would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 12:03 - 24 Sep 2012 12:07 #48669 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Heated wing mirror help?
I had plans to do the same thing this summer, but never got around to it unfortunately. Will follow the thread.

Meanwhile, if it helps, I attach the two diagrams for the mirror cabling ( heated and non-heated versions in high resolution).

There are heated Jimny mirrors on eBay (just the glass and thermal resistance).

Not heated:
File Attachment:

Heated:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 24 Sep 2012 12:07 by VAXXi.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 12:05 #48670 by VAXXi
On the first look, there seems to be an additional relay connected to the rear defogger switch which simply provides a +12V to the heating elements in the mirrors.

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 15:21 #48673 by phippj1
Replied by phippj1 on topic Heated wing mirror help?
Thank you for the diagrams, I really struggle to read them though. I had seen the heated glass on ebay, if I buy these, i would hope they would fit the wing mirror housing and then I could just wire them in, what do you think? Do you think the bracket in the wing mirror housing for the electric motors will be different between heated and non heated? Any ideas how i get the glass out the mirror to have a look?

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 20:26 #48688 by VAXXi
I've attached the rear defogger diagram for help (high res version here ).

File Attachment:

On the non-heated mirror variant pressing the switch connects the YEL/GRN wire coming from the rear defogger fuse to the RED/WHT wire which goes to the ECM and continues with a BLK/BLU wire to the rear windows defogger. Then it goes to ground and that's the circuit.

On the heated mirror variant, there's an additional relay, but strangely it uses the same wiring (perhaps it's an overload or thermal relay to disconnect the heating after a while, don't know).

What you need to do, basically, is:

- get a 4 pin auto relay
- tap into the YEL/GRN wire going to the defogger switch pin 5 and connect the new wire to pin 87 of the relay
- the original RED/WHT wire from the defogger goes to pin 30 of the relay
- connect a new piece of wire between pin 4 of the switch (where RED/WHT wire was connected) and pin 85 of the relay
- pin 86 of the relay goes to ground.
- tap into the RED/WHT wire (after point where you've connected the relay) and pull two wires to the mirrors. I don't know about suitable grounding points near the mirrors, so you might want to pull a 2-wire to each mirror.

If you start the project, take lots of pictures :)

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 23:06 - 24 Sep 2012 23:14 #48695 by phippj1
Thank you i will. What are your thoughts on the heated glass fitting the same glass bracket as non heated mirrors? Any ideas how to remove the wing mirror glass? What does ECM stand for as well?
Last edit: 24 Sep 2012 23:14 by phippj1.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2012 06:43 #48706 by VAXXi
ECM is the car's main computer.

I don't know about the mirror; some say you take out the exterior shell (painted in the colour of the car) and then push some clips and remove the glass. Bracket should be the same between heated and non-heated versions, don't see why they'd be different.

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2012 11:28 #48720 by phippj1
Brilliant thank you for your help. What fuse do you reckon should be in the auto relay, i think the diagram says type 4 takes a 15amp, Type 5 takes a 20amp, i presume my jimny is a type 4 being on a 02 plate? Why does the red.wht wire go to the ECM tho?

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2012 12:00 #48723 by VAXXi
Don't see the reason for a fused relay, there's already a fuse in the defogger circuit (in your fuse box).

I don't know why the wire goes to the ECM; perhaps it disconnects the heating after a while, no idea.

More
03 Jan 2024 20:15 #253236 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Heated wing mirror help?
I know this is a very old post, but has anybody fitted heated mirror glass to a non heated mirror? Gen 3, 2003

More
19 Mar 2024 10:39 #255169 by jamesdin
Replied by jamesdin on topic Heated wing mirror help?

I had plans to do the same thing this summer, but never got around to it unfortunately. Will follow the thread.

Meanwhile, if it helps, I attach the two diagrams for the mirror cabling ( heated and non-heated versions in high resolution).

There are heated Jimny mirrors on eBay (just the glass and thermal resistance).

Not heated:
File Attachment:

Heated:

File Attachment:

Hi Can you please post pics again. I understand it is old post, but I hope you have them still.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds