BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 16:00 - 27 Aug 2012 17:22 #46899 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
Thanks guys.

Need to check it's a + or - coming out of the remote. I'm sure it's a +

My hazard switch only has 3 cables.

Facade: I was trying the Red/Green and Yellow/Green. Should I have been looking for the Green/Red & Green/Yellow (first colours run between switch and relay, second run from relay to lights).

Will try again.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 17:22 by Jimnyash. Reason: Added a diagram

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 18:19 #46907 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
I'm watching this with interest as thinking of doing the same if you get it to work ok .... :whistle:

More
27 Aug 2012 19:16 #46916 by facade
I posted the colours earlier, Green wire/red stripe & green wire/yellow stripe ;) They go directly to the bulbs, touch a live to them and the bulbs will light up. You can splice into the main harness that goes to the back lights, it goes down the left hand side of the car, but the logical place is in the cable that goes to the turn signal relay

The wiring diagram you posted is for the late model car.
The Red wire/green stripe is the wrong wire, no idea how the column switch works, it has not been drawn in a way that I can interpret :unsure:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnyash

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 19:33 #46918 by Jimnyash
Thanks Facade.

I was thinking it had to be joined before the relay and that the signal activated the relay which flashed the lights. This way I guess the live just powers the lights.

Rather oddly, this is the loom I have in my 2003. It also has the newer stereo connector.

I'll give this another try (although I think it's what I tried which blew the fuse earlier). Fingers crossed.

Thanks. :)

More
27 Aug 2012 22:22 #46935 by facade
Find a 12V bulb, indicator, reverse light, rear foglight, (the load of 2 flasher bulbs + repeater is 45W so a front foglight might be too much), earth one end to the bodywork, and connect the remote unit indicator output to the other end of the bulb, just to check that it flashes ok before you start blowing any fuses again ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnyash, Tadpole

• p1ngu32
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2012 13:49 #46959 by p1ngu32
Replied by p1ngu32 on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
With the jimny being negative switched, you might need to use your central locking unit to create an earth for the indicator switch, you can do this using a relay, wire the switching part of the relay up as normal but use the other 2 pins to earth the wire on the indicator module. If using a relay you could even have it flash the headlights as the relay would take the current and not your central locking module, and would probably be easier to tap into than the indicators.

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2012 17:35 #47282 by Jimnyash
Thanks for all your input guys.

I can conform that it needed a relay wiring in to switch the hazards due to the negative switching of the Jimny.

There is a trigger cable on the central locking module on my Jimny (Type 3 setup) so tapped into there and all is sorted.

:)

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2012 17:42 #47286 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
Well done, quite a nice up-grade for not much money ................. ;)

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 18:37 - 17 Sep 2012 18:38 #48259 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
According to the manual, connector G115 to the central locking box should be on the left side of the central column for LHD cars:

File Attachment:

However, I've looked and looked and cannot find the bloody thing. I found G44 (the 4-pin connector for the clock), but no sign of the central locking box. Is it big, small ? hidden behind the big steel pipe in the dash ? do I need to remove the CD player ?

On another note, does anyone know what type of spades fit in the clock connector (or a compatible male connector to buy on eBay)? I'd like to use it for powering "various stuff" and it'd be nice to use the same connector (without cutting the wires/replacing the connector).
Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 18:38 by VAXXi.

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 07:45 #48340 by Jimnyash
Hi,

On the RHD car, it's inside the central section, below the stereo, to the left of the ash tray. It's difficult to get at but the harness can be unclipped and there's just enough slack to work with.

On the LHD car though, that may be more difficult!

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2012 19:19 #48760 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
well iv been testing my jimny its a w reg and mine isnt switched earth on the indicators or lights or windows and my front fogs are switched live to so who nos

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds