BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Diff oil leaking from my swivel's??????

More
03 Oct 2010 19:21 #4925 by kirkynut
The saga continues for me. I have shimmed up my kingpins on this side with 0.2mm shims from the Bigjimny shop and used a new oil seal.

There was no resistance in the kingpins when I stripped it down. I was therefore slightly confident shimming would stop the leak.

Martin's prediction was right. It did not fix it. I turned the car round on the drive and put it in the garage. I couldn't drive it as the winch bumper is off for adjustment. I found it had leaked terribly this morning. So shimming has made it much worse.

It is therefore bent kingpins or a bent axle as far as I can see.

I'll have to have a further look at the kingpins before I make a decision as to whether I'm gonna buy a second hand axle or try new kingpins.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2010 19:00 #4993 by kirkynut
Solved mine with a new front axle - still don't know if it was a bent axle or bent kingpins.

I got a good second hand axle for £75.00. They said that I could have it this cheap as the ends look cruddy! I went down there and had a look. It had road grime on the outside of the hub casting and the swivels had surface rust that came off with a wire brush and I will rub them down with fine emery and change the seals when I rebuilt the bubs.

I think they were thinking of Landover swivels which are chrome and have to be shiny but i kept my gob shut, paid my money and left with a perfectly good front axle for £75.00!!!

I also have a rear axle off the same car and plan to take the shafts out of that and put new bearings on ready for my rear disc conversion so I can do the job in one hit without having to run down to the garage for them to press the bearings and collars on mid job!

I will take a closer look at the old kingpins to see if they are bent - something I should have done a while ago. I could not have got 4 kingpins for the £75 the whole axle cost so it was not worth my while trying to carry on tracing the fault on my old axle at that money. I will do so in the fullness of time in case someone else sufers the same issue - as Jamie is at the moment.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
27 Nov 2010 09:11 #6562 by kirkynut
Did you solve yours then Jamie and if so, what was it all about?

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds