BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering wobble

• colin_y
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2010 08:45 #3995 by colin_y
Steering wobble was created by colin_y
I would like to pass on a wee bit of info to you all.

I was having difficulty with a steering wobble @ 50mph and went down the usual route of wheel balance ,kingpins etc.

I found the issue was a build of of aluminium oxide on the face of the wheel as it fits to the hub. the problem was gone until I changed the pads and refitted the wheels. I did not mark them before removal (who does) and only when i removed them again was the problem apparent.

quick going over with 80 grit and some copper slip to minimise a repeat and bingo!

worth checking when alloy wheels are off.

colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2010 13:22 #4251 by andyw
Replied by andyw on topic Re:Steering wobble
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Glad I read this last week!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had the Death Wobble for a long time like you do, I bought the Shims to try off Martin, but there still here, not got around to it. :huh:

Done what you suggested with the wheels and took it for a drive and the DW did'nt come, thought any minute now but it did'nt come at all.

So try cleaning the mating faces up, also I blew all my tyres up to 25lbs just to try, so no DW , yes pleased so far.

Thanks for posting, I would'nt of thought of it B) :)

Andy

• colin_y
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2010 13:45 #4252 by colin_y
Replied by colin_y on topic Re:Steering wobble
Glad to be of assistance.

Alloy wheels and steel surfaces do not like each other. Since this I have changed the disks and pads on my shogun and done the same with all front alloy wheel surfaces and it drives better now as well.

ATB

Colin

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2010 19:07 - 10 Oct 2010 19:10 #5064 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re:Steering wobble
I'm going to give this a try as since fitting my wider offset wheels my steering wobble is really bad between 30mph - 40mph :( . Failing that, have many people successfully cured their wheel wobble by replacing the wheel & kingpin bearings?
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 19:10 by Adamski.

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2010 12:58 #5073 by JimBru
Replied by JimBru on topic Re:Steering wobble
mine was cured by getting the disks machined and a wheel balenced :)

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2010 13:49 #5074 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re:Steering wobble

JimBru wrote: mine was cured by getting the disks machined and a wheel balenced :)

What does getting the discs machined involve? Did your wheels only wobble when applying the brakes?

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2010 17:02 #5078 by JimBru

Adamski wrote:

JimBru wrote: mine was cured by getting the disks machined and a wheel balenced :)

What does getting the discs machined involve? Did your wheels only wobble when applying the brakes?

it seemed to make the wobble a lost worse when braking, I had the front stripped down any way so thought it would be rude not to do it.

I basically gave them to the bloke at work who works in the machine shop, he stuck them on the lathe and straightened up all the faces (not sure waht the technical term is :unsure: ), he did say one was quite warped think he took about 1mm off??

Was worth a try for free :)

More
12 Oct 2010 06:11 #5082 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Steering wobble
Technical Term here .... you had the discs skimmed :)

I replaced my discs and pads. it improved things a lot, but I think I need to get the wheels balanced too

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
12 Oct 2010 10:01 #5087 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Steering wobble
This goes back to getting the wheels balanced on the car. You just have to mark the wheel and a stud to make sure you put it back on in the same place. If you can find somewhere to do it now.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2010 12:07 #5092 by JimBru

ooky_123 wrote: Technical Term here .... you had the discs skimmed :)

I replaced my discs and pads. it improved things a lot, but I think I need to get the wheels balanced too

thats the phrase, i had brain freeze lol

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds