BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

lean problem

• kirks
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 18:58 #3837 by kirks
lean problem was created by kirks
hi just joined was after some advise just lifted my jimny with 3 kap springs got a lean on drivers side if you sit in the passinger side it hardley moves sit in the drivers side and it sinks more then the other side. the front drivers side spring is a inch taller allready thanks kirk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2010 19:16 #3838 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:lean problem
a common problem.

Most people get a 1" spring spacer and insert it on the drivers front spring cup.

or, the expensive option, but a new spring.

the "Jimny Lean" is a common issue, usually more visible with longer springs.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
15 Jul 2010 19:49 #3842 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:lean problem
Mine has it and I just accept it!

Someone at work pointed it out to me in the yard the other day, thinking they were being helpful and that I might not have noticed - they seemed a bit shocked when I replied "YEP, THEY ALL DO THAT AND IT DOESN'T HELP THAT I'M A FAT B@?TARD!".

I wouldn't worry. The other solution would be to get a fat girlfriend to even it out but I like the one I've got so it will stay the way it is!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 Jul 2010 17:38 #3855 by MigCooper
Replied by MigCooper on topic Re:lean problem
That is interresting, I never noticed it on mine ...... will have a look later and see

:blink:

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2010 21:43 #6065 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re:lean problem
I know this is an old thread but I'm just about to order a 1" spring spacer to solve my lean problem on the drivers side. Can anyone confirm that this will put the car back to level?

I'm slightly concerned that the spacer might then lift the drivers side higher than the passenger side. I measured the gap between the arches and the drivers side is half an inch lower than the passenger side but I'm guessing that when I sit in the drivers seat it will make it even lower which will mean that the inch spacer will be about right?

More
18 Nov 2010 08:13 #6070 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:lean problem
I think even if it seems to be higher after the spacer is fitted, it will level out when you sit in the vehicle.
The drivers side has more weight on it, the rear door hinges and the TX box all are located on the drivers side, so overtime some weakness is to be expected.

Personally I accept it and also quote im a Fat B****d too :)

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Mick C
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 09:34 #6071 by Mick C
Replied by Mick C on topic Re:lean problem

Adamski wrote: I know this is an old thread but I'm just about to order a 1" spring spacer to solve my lean problem on the drivers side. Can anyone confirm that this will put the car back to level?

I'm slightly concerned that the spacer might then lift the drivers side higher than the passenger side. I measured the gap between the arches and the drivers side is half an inch lower than the passenger side but I'm guessing that when I sit in the drivers seat it will make it even lower which will mean that the inch spacer will be about right?

Just out of interest does it lean to one side equally? are both the offside arches lower than the nearside or is it biased to one corner? If that's the case do people fit one spacer front and one rear???

If it's just half inch I'd probably live with it, I didn't notice it when I saw your truck Adam. Problem is if you like things to be cock-on once you notice it it'll just bug you until you notice the next thing!

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 10:29 #6075 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re:lean problem
guys,

I bought a lift kit from ORA, and I fitted the Spings the wrong way round giving me a lean. sound obvious but it might be worth double checking.

What happens is on some Jimnys there are 3 different length springs, and when you buy uprated springs they come in 2 pairs so one is longer than it should be. pushing it down in one corner.

this can be counteracted by either fitting a spacer, of which I have a brand new one which is available for a £10. or buying a new spring which has been said before.

Hope this helps

Tom

• paulnb57
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 10:32 #6076 by paulnb57
Replied by paulnb57 on topic Re:lean problem
I could be talking out of my @rse here, but, could this not just be a case of wrong spring on the wrong side? My experience is with L@and Rovers and springs are different rates for driver/passenger side to account for offset weight within the truck, keeping it level. Is this not the case with the Jimny?
IMHO your truck should not lean when unladen.............

Paul

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 12:50 - 18 Nov 2010 12:54 #6089 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re:lean problem

kirkynut wrote: Mine has it and I just accept it!

Someone at work pointed it out to me in the yard the other day, thinking they were being helpful and that I might not have noticed - they seemed a bit shocked when I replied "YEP, THEY ALL DO THAT AND IT DOESN'T HELP THAT I'M A FAT B@?TARD!".

I wouldn't worry. The other solution would be to get a fat girlfriend to even it out but I like the one I've got so it will stay the way it is!

Kirkynut

why don't you let your girlfriend drive and the it would sit level :whistle:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2010 12:54 by darthloachie.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 12:54 - 18 Nov 2010 12:54 #6090 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re:lean problem
My lift kit from rhinoays had a differnt spring for the front offide to combat the lean
you can try this from bitz4vitz
www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/Jimny/Spring-S...y-Lean-/prod_43.html
Last edit: 18 Nov 2010 12:54 by darthloachie.

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 18:07 - 18 Nov 2010 18:10 #6110 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re:lean problem
I've just bought a 1" spacer from ebay for £16.50 inc p&p which didnt seem to bad.

I will just fit it and take it from there. I would rather have one side 3" and the other 3.5" rather than 1 side 3" and the other side 2.5" (as it currently is) for clearance purposes. I think once the car settles it should sit nice and level :unsure:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2010 18:10 by Adamski.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds