BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Iridium Spark Plugs

More
08 Jul 2010 15:25 #3755 by auchenblae
Just done a 48 month, 36,000 mile service on our March 2007 car at 32,500 miles. The car only did 5,000 miles in the last year.

There seams to be differing info as to when these Iridium spark plugs need changed,

Has anyone changed theirs at at what mileage. At 4 times the price. I would expect more than twice the mileage of standard spark plugs.

eddie

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2010 12:37 #3761 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic Re:Iridium Spark Plugs
Talked to the local dealer today and they change them at the 54,000 mile service. So I will wait till 54k.

eddie

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

• Slazmo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2010 21:04 #3807 by Slazmo
Replied by Slazmo on topic Re:Iridium Spark Plugs
hey mate,

I binned the Irridium NGK's and favour the NGK-R's that have a slight 'v' cut into the electrode. They burn colder and then let you run 91Ron rather than the 95Ron... Althought thats completely up in the air regardless...

Anyhow, I wouldnt suggest that Irridium spark plugs be used in anything less than a performance orientated engine or those that use High Octane fuels... I find my engine runs quieter and more stable after going the NGK R's...

I just change the sparkplugs every 15,000km's and if they look ok, a quick clean up will see another 5 to 10,000km's, but for the sake of $16 AUD, its worth changing them...

Hope that helped...

More
14 Jul 2010 21:08 #3809 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Iridium Spark Plugs
I have used Denso Iridium spark plugs from my local Factors and they seem fine and did not cost much.

I'd just change them for what they cost and then you'll not have to think about them for a while then.

Job done!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Jul 2010 11:59 #3836 by DVF
Replied by DVF on topic Re:Iridium Spark Plugs
If you've had the car serviced at the dealer before they should have gave you the service schedule when you picked it up. All the service points for each type of service are listed. It should say there what service the spark plugs need changed. It might also say in the handbook.

If I remember it was the 36000 mile service the plugs got changed. I checked mine when I did that service a few months ago and the gaps on the plugs were huge, about 5mm or more. Very worn looking. Still haven't got round to changing them yet. Soon though.

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2010 19:12 - 03 Aug 2010 19:13 #4046 by P.Y.
Replied by P.Y. on topic Re:Iridium Spark Plugs
I went to my local factors in Didcot and asked about NGK - R's and they looked very blank, flicked the screen a few times, and said there is no such thing...is there an actual reference no. for these?

I then went to Halfords. They have the bubble packet spark plug sets with the little V cut in the electrode you mention, but they are not NGK-R's.

I couldnt find any Irridium spark plugs either...there was Bosche and NGK in Halfords of various types (impressive range) but without some reference numbers for a Jimny couldnt take it any further. Got a basic set of NGK's from the factors, these are plain plugs, no cut in the electrode, (normal yellow boxes sold individually), and it was explained that they run cooler so would allow a poorer grade of petrol to be used. Interesting stuff but doesnt solve this question! Any info would be appreciated.

....thanks.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2010 19:13 by P.Y..

More
03 Aug 2010 21:37 - 04 Aug 2010 07:02 #4048 by DVF
Standard plug for Jimny M13A (VVT)engine is NGK, LFR6J-11. They're not uncommon and any parts shop or factors should have them. Parts suppliers reference books only show G13B engines for Jimny's from what I've seen.

EDIT: IFR6J-11, not LFR
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 07:02 by DVF.

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2010 05:09 #4049 by P.Y.
Is this the one referred to earlier that is called the "R" with a little V cut in the electrode, that runs cooler than an Irridium? What is the reference number for a 2005 Jimny twin cam (dont think its the VVT this old) for this plug, and, also Irridium alternative, please, as I need to get both (its for the London to Cape Town rally entry). thanks. py

More
04 Aug 2010 05:39 - 04 Aug 2010 05:42 #4050 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Iridium Spark Plugs
According to the manual

Spark plug type
NGK : BKR6E-11, IFR5E11
DENSO : K20PR-U11, SK16PR-A11

Sparkplugs.co.uk recommend

Denso irridium IK20 £7.23+vat

Denso irridium tough VK20Y £10.98+vat

or NGK irridium IFR5E11 £13.20 +vat

the NGK BKR6E-11 is £2.30 + vat
and the Denso K20PR-U11 is £1.98 + vat

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 05:42 by facade.

More
04 Aug 2010 07:13 - 04 Aug 2010 07:17 #4052 by DVF
P.Y. wrote:

Is this the one referred to earlier that is called the "R" with a little V cut in the electrode, that runs cooler than an Irridium? What is the reference number for a 2005 Jimny twin cam (dont think its the VVT this old) for this plug, and, also Irridium alternative, please, as I need to get both (its for the London to Cape Town rally entry). thanks. py

I think you'll need to get under your bonnet to find out what engine you've got and what spark plugs it uses. Take one of the spark plugs out and get the code off it. It probably does have the VVT engine if it's a 2005 which means the iridium spark plugs are standard fit, but you'll need to check under the bonnet to find out.

Out of curiosity, why do you need two types of spark plug for the rally? EDIT: Ah, right, for the poor quality fuel you'll get on the way down there.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 07:17 by DVF.

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2010 14:25 - 04 Aug 2010 14:28 #4056 by P.Y.
Correct! The cars leave Parliament Square in the evening of New Years Eve and drive two tests in woods in Kent, and an hour of tightly-timed lanes on the North Downs before Dover, and in Northern France there is a timed section down a hopefully not too muddy track called The Somme Time Trial, and after all this, some results will be chalked up. Look out for the Jimny as it could be putting up a surprising result at this point (ok, Cape Town is still a long way off, but its the twisty bits that will suit it best, and the two drivers have both won rallies in the past in the 1400cc-Endurance Rally scene).

They want to run the best possible early on, so, the best fuel available, and to take advantage of that it makes sense to run Irridium plugs. Before crossing to Africa, somewhere in the south of France, they will stop and change plugs no doubt, if the running of a cooler plug suits a lower grade of fuel.

2005 engine - didnt think it was VVT till later. How can we spot the difference.

Thanks for your advice.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 14:28 by P.Y..

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds