BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

over heating at 50+

• oldsilver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2010 19:50 #3592 by oldsilver
over heating at 50+ was created by oldsilver
Still over heating if driving above 50 miles an hour, not loosing water or when standing in traffic its fine, could it be head gaskit,? no water in oil or visa versa
Does any one know how to check wether it is the fan or the switch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2010 05:53 #3597 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:over heating at 50+
You don't say how old your Jimny is.

The old ones have a Viscous fan whilst the recent ones have an electric fan. I would guess that its the Viscous Fan one.

The Viscous oil gets tired or even leaks out over time meaning that the fan slips at high revs. If you can get hold of some cable ties it is possble to "lock" the outer part of the fan to the hub forcing the fan to turn all the time. This will increase the noise of the engine and affect economy at low revs but will tell you if the problem is the fan. Its pretty fiddly to get the ties in place.

The other test is to get it hot and then try stopping the fan with a rolled up newspaper. This is quite dangerous and exciting to do but if the fan can be stopped then the Viscous mechanism is broken.

Its not possible to fix the mechanism. I took mine apart and the oil escaped quicker than MP's when someone shouts "Whos expenses claim form is this?". I simply rebuilt the mechanism with a piece of cardboard jammed inside to stop it slipping and all my cooling issues went away.

martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• oldsilver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2010 10:41 #3604 by oldsilver
Replied by oldsilver on topic Re:over heating at 50+
Thanks Martin,
I will try that this afternoon, I will let you know
how I get on later.I will try and get some photos on later as well
because I want to strip the bumpers off to make up some winch bumpers up but wanted to get the running stuff fixed first.
Ade.

• Knight.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 11:39 #3831 by Knight.
Replied by Knight. on topic Re:over heating at 50+
oldsilver wrote:

Thanks Martin,
I will try that this afternoon, I will let you know
how I get on later.I will try and get some photos on later as well
because I want to strip the bumpers off to make up some winch bumpers up but wanted to get the running stuff fixed first.
Ade.

Did you fix this in the end?

• oldsilver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2010 17:31 #4853 by oldsilver
It was the viscous fan I think that started the problem, Its caught me out a couple of times bioling over, now I have to change the head gasket. Water in the oil!.Don't let it get too hotlike I did.

More
27 Sep 2010 18:36 #4859 by andyw
Replied by andyw on topic Re:over heating at 50+
Hi,

Hows the rad, clean or full of crud ( Fins ), :) sounds like you've still the plastic on, not rad related but the front cross member can get full of mud :ohmy:

Andy

• mostafa
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2010 14:14 #4939 by mostafa
Replied by mostafa on topic Re:over heating at 50+
i faced this problem with 1999 jimny
i changed the fan and the cooling liqued at the radiator and it ddnt work
at the end it was the radiator needs to be cleaned. salty stains enough to over heat the car
if your Jimny is quite old, try to clean your radiator before changing anything at the same time check other parts like our friends here said.

good luck :)

• oldsilver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2010 18:53 - 05 Oct 2010 18:56 #4953 by oldsilver
taken every thing apart just about to lift the head off in the morning, tried to get manual but the only one I could find was a disc I had to send for,(Rapid manuals). I got ready with head set and new timing belt.I just hope I can remember how to put it all back together now!timing marks ect.Not sure how to lift cam off what happens to cam followers ect thats why I was waiting for manual.I will let you know how I get on, at the moment I wish I had not started the bloody job. Also don't know if I should change bolts or not some people say yes and some say they don't bother. :(
If I had a sware box it would be full and I would be skint :angry:
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 18:56 by oldsilver.

• oldsilver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2010 19:03 #4954 by oldsilver
funny enough I still do have plastic on, not quite full yet though.I was just about to take all the front off ready to make winch bumper and I thought about rock bumper as well,probibly make both and have a look, I will post some pictures when I am done.

• oldsilver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2010 17:54 #5225 by oldsilver
Just got jimny back together running lovely, 2 miles down the road power went then cut out, fired up again 200 yards down road no power then cut out again, this carried on for about a 1/2 mile to the house.Temprature was normal but had not been running long, checked water full of oil, checked oil and full of water plus air filter box full of water, I suspect possible head cracked? although every thing looked fine when it was apart, does anyone kmow if it might be cracked where you cant see it somwhere? cant think of anything else it could be.
If so has anyone got a good head for sale? I think it just might need taken out and given a damb good thrashing with a big stick, or even better wheres my gun!

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds