BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front Disc pads tight fit

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 07:24 #34376 by Carrow
Front Disc pads tight fit was created by Carrow
I have a 2008 Jimny in need of some of some new front disc pads(still suzuki Orig, the inner pads have worn down quicker!), I bought a set of Blue print Compatables, decent price. On fitting them, the outer pads are fine, but the inner pads (both sides) are a very tight fit in the carrier, the originals where suzuki pads, these also seemed a little tight. I have cleaned the carrier and lubed the springs and slots, still a tight fit, anyone seen this problem before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 07:49 #34378 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
I would check the pistons are free to move and rust free. Even though the vehicle is quite recent, corroded pistons is still possible which may prevent them fully retracting. This would explain both symptoms.

Si

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 08:17 - 28 Feb 2012 17:43 #34379 by Carrow
Replied by Carrow on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
The Main caliper piston moves like butter, the 2x caliper slide pistons also move very smoothly, well greased (red rubber stuff), its just the inner pad fitment into the main carrier, I have to push the pad really hard into the springs, a Suzuki dealer told me the inner pad is a tight fit so as to prevent squeal, as the outer pad has a anti squeal shim. This does sound OK, but having changed pads on loads of cars, I have never had to push so hard when fitting a pad into its slot.

I decided later to-day to ditch the compatible pads and buy Suzuki genuine, and hey presto the pads just pushed in, for some reason the cheaper pads just would not fit correctly. anybody else had this problem.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2012 17:43 by Carrow. Reason: purchsed original pads.

• p1ngu32
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 18:39 #34433 by p1ngu32
Replied by p1ngu32 on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
I have on several occasions on various different cars, had to file down the edges of cheap pads to get them to fit into the carrier properly some times its just too much paint on them and others the metal backing it just a tiny bit to big to move freely in the carrier.

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 19:17 #34439 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
Yep me too, I"ve had to file down the lugs on the pads then put a bit of copper grease on.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Feb 2012 07:07 #34471 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
I fitted a set of Mintex pads on the front of mine, no issues

More
29 Feb 2012 11:23 #34486 by Johnniehec
A wee tickle with the angle grinder and a bit of copper grease;) Jimny, Citroen C4 Peugeot 307 all the same with non manufacturer pads.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• Mumbo Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Feb 2012 12:46 #34489 by Mumbo Jimbo
Replied by Mumbo Jimbo on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
Seems to be down to the manufacturer of the replacement pads. A couple of years ago I found EBC pads too tight to fit and had to file the paint off the tabs and apply copper grease to fit, then when I recently replaced with brembo pads they went straight in with no bother.

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2012 18:03 #34612 by Carrow
Replied by Carrow on topic Re: Front Disc pads tight fit
Thanks for all your help, decided to install the Blue print pads, as the look better, and sanded paint off, cheers.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds