BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Just done my first wheel bearing

More
21 May 2010 22:01 #3436 by kevant
just done my first wheel bearing on my jimny tonight and all hail to the mighty how to guides on this site only thing we really had trouble with was getting the old bearing out of the hub but after 15 mins with the blow torch and a load of hammering we finally sorted it and it would be really nice to find a bearing tool from somewhere if anyone has any ideas as we had to use and hammer and flat punch to get the retainer ring off as with having manual hubs on i am not too bothered about the seal for the vac side of things. Also found a local dealer who supplied the full bearing fit for just under £45 so happy days and i am defo going to get a spare for the other side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2010 17:53 #3440 by Foxtrot
Hi Kevant, well done with the wheel bearing. I've just been under my 2006 Jimny and the passenger side kingpin is oozing grease. Looks like it is goosed, I'm hoping the extended warranty will fix it. Was it straight forward to do?

More
22 May 2010 20:07 #3441 by kevant
Not too bad thanks to Martins How to guide my advice is to print out the guide and leave it in the car for when you start the job also make sure you have a couple of decent axle stands as the cheaper ones dont instill any confidence when working on the car with a wheel off. Another thing which i found was getting the circlip off the driveshaft was quite a chore so make sure you have a good set of circlip pliers otherwise you will possibly break the clip like i did which means if you havnt been supplied any in the kit your screwed and if you do end up doing it yourself you might consider checking out the bearing at the same time lets hope you can get it done on warranty otherwise read the guide get you car on the drive and get a mate to help 2 heads are alawys better than one :-)

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds