BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

high temp normal ????

• daniel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2012 07:58 #34301 by daniel
high temp normal ???? was created by daniel
hi,
my jimny done some hard work 4x4 in the mountains a few days ago ,everytime theres a steep climb for more than a few minutes using 2nd and 3rd low gear temp shows about 80% on gauge and thermo doesnt seem to kick in till gauge is right up there ,is this normal for the hard work its doing to be that high ,and for the thermo to not kick in till later ????gauge normally runs at half
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• teafortwo0789
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 12:52 #34397 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: high temp normal ????
My Jimny seems to heat up very very quickly, even in very cold weather. It goes to mid way on the gauge and stays there as steady as a rock, even when on Motorway pulling hard. I've watched the car heating characteristics on an OBD 2 device plugged into my laptop and the heating / cooling is well tracked by the Engine Management System.

Because of the rapid heat up etc. I suspect the cooling may be marginal on Jimny's as in the manual they actually recommend reverse flushing the radiator as a routine activity. This is unusual on a standard car. Moral is keep the cooling system in very good fettle and a spare fan belt.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 12:59 #34399 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: high temp normal ????
Jimny cooling system does seem to be a bit tempremental...but it shouldn't be doing that.

Check to see if the thermostat is opening would be the first thing to do.
Is your radiator in good condition?
2nd suspect would be the fan which apparently also causes trouble

More
29 Feb 2012 17:45 #34501 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: high temp normal ????
I've been all over the Lakes/Yorkshire and Derbeyshire a few times and they have lots of hills, especially some of the Lakes Pass'.

I've never seen my guage go above half but have a scan gauge and see the temperature climb on that to 94c sometimes with a new rad and coolant.

I think your viscous fan is on it's way out as if the thermostat was shut stuck it would overheat all the time with nothing going through the rad.

Lock up the fan to test.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds