BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Sump Porous

• colin_y
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2010 10:37 - 20 May 2010 10:44 #3415 by colin_y
Jimny Sump Porous was created by colin_y
I have just purchased a jimny for a bit of fun and unfortunately it has the death wobble and a porous sump due to rust.

It has been lying around for a while and balalncing the wheeels has not helped so I will strip the kingpin bearings out and relube in the 1st instance.

Issue is the sump. Where can I source one or shall I just remove plate it weld it up and refit.

Thanks

colin
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2010 10:44 by colin_y.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foxshooter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2010 17:06 #3461 by foxshooter
Replied by foxshooter on topic Re:Jimny Sump Porous
Hi Colin

As far as the sump goes a genuine Suzuki dealer replacement will cost you about £82 ish. I know because I just had to buy one myself.

I looked for one from a breaker for ages but they only seem to sell complete or rebuilt engines. A week later I found a guy on ebay who was breaking his because the head had failed so I missed out there I reckon (typical).

As far as death wobble goes you may make some improvement by replacing the kingpin bearings. I purchased my bearings from my local engineering suppliers on the industrial estate as the Big Jimny shop was out of stock. They were Timken bearings which apparently are very good. They cost me between £45 and £50 including the seals. If you get stuck sourcing some let me know. I can let you have the part numbers or even mail you some over.

I believe your wheel design may be some of the problem. Since I recently acquired a money pit of a Jimny I have been doing a lot of research on a variety of forums and sites.

It seems that the triangular wheel design has some sort of design/manufacturing problem that causes the wheel to flex when the wheel nuts are tightened. You pay to have them all balanced only to have them flex as theyre fitted making them wobble all over again.

Good luck with getting everything sorted

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds