BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

k&n filter

• SUGAR DELTA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2012 21:02 #34038 by SUGAR DELTA
k&n filter was created by SUGAR DELTA
Hi,is it worth sticking a k&n filter on my jimny?
will it really improve thing's??
Cheers :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2012 21:08 #34040 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: k&n filter
hi mate to be honest i wouldn't wast your money, it will only make it sound like a boy racer car and not much else.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2012 21:13 - 22 Feb 2012 21:14 #34042 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: k&n filter
I've got one on and to be honest, it doesn't sound any noisier than standard. Luckily.

Just saves a little on buying standard filters, IF you're keeping the vehicle long term.
A little filter cleaner and filter oil, job done.
As far as an increase in performance, did you say you were fitting it in your Veyron or Jimny? :laugh:
Jim isn't powerful enough for you to notice any gains.

BUT, I wouldn't fit one to my Merc as I want to keep that long term and MAS's are expensive. LoL!

:)
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 21:14 by Keefe.

• SUGAR DELTA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2012 21:15 #34043 by SUGAR DELTA
Replied by SUGAR DELTA on topic Re: k&n filter
Cheers folks
They aint too expensive,found them for £26 delivered on flea-bay but if they do absolutely nothing to improve anything I may not bother.

Let's see.
Because I plan to keep this baby long term B)

• Jeffskowski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 06:20 #34056 by Jeffskowski
Replied by Jeffskowski on topic Re: k&n filter
I fitted one and have found it has improved performance. It hasnt made it a sports car or anything but the engine breathes better. There is no discernible difference in noise as you are using the stock air box. If you want to fit one then do it :) it can't do any harm.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 06:27 #34057 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: k&n filter
Anyone considering fitting a K & N Filter should check out this site first... www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm and if you already have one of those filters, toss it out and spend the money on a quality paper filter.

:sick:

• Jeffskowski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 08:27 #34061 by Jeffskowski
Replied by Jeffskowski on topic Re: k&n filter

ZookFastback wrote: Anyone considering fitting a K & N Filter should check out this site first... www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm and if you already have one of those filters, toss it out and spend the money on a quality paper filter.

:sick:

In 20 years of motoring I have never seen any damage of engine components or running issues when using serviceable air filters. From VW beetles with HiPo engines to the modern daily run around, I have always used them and not once have I had an issue.

It's entirely up to the driver what they choose of course but this is my experience.
There is a lot of test data out there for every single thing that has ever been produced. Lots of positive and lots of negative. I am not disagreeing with what Oily Bob is saying in his testing but it is just one opinion.

:)

More
23 Feb 2012 09:11 #34065 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: k&n filter
Very interesting article and some valid points made. I imagine also that how you use the car makes a huge difference. If its mainly road use perhaps a K & N is fine, but if it's off road a lot on dusty tracks then an original equipment would seem to be better. I know from my experience of tracks in the summer in France dust is a real problem, and obviously the same in Oz. It's quite easy to make a filter clogged with dirt in a day out, and that's with a snorkel facing backwards as well.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• stu44
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 11:38 #34067 by stu44
Replied by stu44 on topic Re: k&n filter
i have a k&n panel filter on my jimny and i have found i get approx 10 mpg better,hope this helps

• SUGAR DELTA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 12:00 #34069 by SUGAR DELTA
Replied by SUGAR DELTA on topic Re: k&n filter
Some interesting and conflicting views here,I think for the price and seeing as I won't be doing many dusty trails I will go for it and give it a try.

Thanks to all that replied !

More
23 Feb 2012 16:04 #34076 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: k&n filter

stu44 wrote: i have a k&n panel filter on my jimny and i have found i get approx 10 mpg better,hope this helps

What 40 + with a K&N?

I'm gonna fit 3 then, I want 60MPG ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 16:10 #34077 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: k&n filter

facade wrote:

stu44 wrote: i have a k&n panel filter on my jimny and i have found i get approx 10 mpg better,hope this helps

What 40 + with a K&N?

I'm gonna fit 3 then, I want 60MPG ;)

I have two fitted but still only get 20-25mpg :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds